Occupational therapy is a health discipline that includes work and activity analysis and adaptations in order to enable individuals to lead their lives more independently and efficiently. This field, which is becoming increasingly important in today’s world, aims to improve the quality of life of individuals, while at the same time contributing to the health and welfare of society. In this article we have prepared for you, we will examine the subheadings where you can find detailed information about occupational therapy.
- What is Occupational Therapy?
- Which Universities Provide Occupational Therapy Education?
- What are the courses taken in the Department of Occupational Therapy?
- What are the Working Areas of Occupational Therapy?
- Where Can Occupational Therapists Work?
- How do occupational therapists work?
- Occupational Therapy Approach Examples
- Auxiliary Devices Used in Occupational Therapy
- Occupational Therapy Prices in Turkey
What is Occupational Therapy?
Occupational therapy is a health discipline that aims to make daily activities in individuals’ lives easier and more efficient by improving their physical, emotional, and social abilities. Occupational therapists organize therapies and activities suitable for individuals’ age, gender, occupation and lifestyle to improve the quality of life. These therapies focus on the development of skills and abilities that will help individuals to sustain their lives. Occupational therapy is of great importance, especially for the elderly, disabled individuals, and those with chronic diseases.
Which Universities Provide Occupational Therapy Education?
Universities providing occupational therapy education vary from country to country. Among the universities providing occupational therapy education in Turkey;
- Hacettepe University,
- Istanbul University-Cerrahpaşa,
- Ege University,
- Başkent University and Kırıkkale University.
Among the universities providing occupational therapy education worldwide;
- Boston University,
- The University of Sydney,
- There are prestigious institutions such as Oxford Brookes University and the University of Toronto.
What are the courses taken in the Department of Occupational Therapy?
The courses taken in the Department of Occupational Therapy basically include knowledge and practices for the development of skills and abilities that will help individuals to sustain their lives.
These courses include Anatomy, Physiology, Biomechanics, Kinesiology, Neurology, Paediatrics, Geriatrics, Psychiatry, Work and Process Analysis, Occupational Therapy Assessment and Planning, Occupational Therapy Practice and Methods, Patient Education and Counselling, Group Dynamics and Communication, Research and Ethics. These courses help occupational therapist candidates to gain a wide range of knowledge and application skills for their fields.
What are the Working Areas of Occupational Therapy?
Occupational therapy is a therapeutic approach to solving physical, mental, or social problems that prevent individuals from maintaining their lives and performing their daily activities. The main goal of occupational therapy is to improve the quality of life of individuals and to ensure their independence. The working areas of occupational therapy are quite wide and can be applied in various fields as follows:
Physical Rehabilitation: Occupational therapists take part in the treatment of individuals with musculoskeletal, neuromuscular and cardiovascular system problems. Occupational therapists working in this field use therapeutic techniques and adaptive devices to help patients increase their functional abilities and return to their daily lives.
Mental Health: Occupational therapists contribute to the treatment of individuals experiencing emotional, cognitive, and social problems. Occupational therapists working in this field help improve patients’ social skills, problem-solving abilities and stress management.
Pediatric Occupational Therapy: Occupational therapists who support the physical, mental and social development of children help them cope with conditions such as learning difficulties, attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder.
Geriatric Occupational Therapy: Occupational therapists, who help elderly individuals maintain their independent lives and improve their quality of life, develop strategies to overcome physical and mental problems related to old age.
Ergonomics and Occupational Health: Occupational therapists provide support in issues such as workplace design, equipment selection, and improvement of working methods in order to protect the health and safety of employees and improve their work performance.
Where Can Occupational Therapists Work?
Occupational therapists can work in a variety of health and social service organizations. Job opportunities include:
b) Private Clinics,
c) Nursing homes and elderly care centers,
e) Workplaces and Factories,
f) Universities and Research Centres,
How do occupational therapists work?
Occupational therapists work using a therapeutic approach to solve problems that prevent individuals from maintaining their lives and performing their daily activities. The working process of occupational therapists is as follows:
- Occupational therapists conduct a comprehensive assessment to evaluate the physical, mental, and social status of patients.
- Following the assessment, occupational therapists set goals in accordance with the needs and expectations of the patients.
- To achieve these goals, occupational therapists create a treatment plan suitable for individual needs.
- Occupational therapists use various therapeutic methods and adaptive devices to help patients achieve their goals.
- During the treatment process, occupational therapists monitor and evaluate the progress of patients. They can make changes in the treatment plan when necessary.
- Occupational therapists provide education and counseling services to improve the quality of life of patients and their families.
Occupational Therapy Approach Examples
Occupational therapy is a therapy method that aims to improve the quality of life of individuals by improving their ability to perform activities of daily living. This therapy method can be applied to people with physical, mental, or emotional problems. Here are examples of occupational therapy approaches:
Cognitive-behavioral Approach, This approach works to solve problems by changing the thoughts and behaviors of the individual. The occupational therapist determines the negative thought patterns and behaviors of the individual and develops strategies to change them.
Neurodevelopmental Approach, This approach addresses motor and cognitive problems resulting from brain damage. The occupational therapist tries to increase the capacity of the individual to perform activities of daily living by improving neuromotor skills.
Sensory Integration Approach, This approach aims to improve the quality of life by improving the sensory processing abilities of the individual. The occupational therapist develops sensory adaptation skills by using various activities and materials that stimulate the sensory organs of the individual.
Cognitive Adaptation Approach, This approach improves the ability of individuals with cognitive impairment to perform activities of daily living. The occupational therapist tries to improve the quality of life by using strategies and adaptations that support the mental functioning of the individual.
Biomechanical Approach, This approach aims to improve the quality of life by improving the physical functions and mobility of the individual. The occupational therapist works on the individual’s musculoskeletal system and works to increase strength, flexibility and endurance.
Auxiliary Devices Used in Occupational Therapy
Assistive devices used in occupational therapy are aimed at improving the individual’s ability to perform activities of daily living. Here are some assistive devices used in occupational therapy:
- Hand and Wrist Supports,
- Walking Aids,
- Sitting and Bed Auxiliaries,
- Eating Assistants,
- Dressing Aids,
- Bathroom and Toilet Auxiliaries,
- Communication Assistants,
Occupational Therapy Prices in Turkey
Türkiye has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. Occupational Therapy Prices in Turkey
We can see that patients and relatives of patients who want to come to Turkey are doing research. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi