Adult Still’s disease is a rare rheumatic disease characterized by systemic inflammation of unknown causes, which usually occurs in young adults. This disease manifests itself with symptoms such as pain and swelling in the joints, high fever, and rash. Having information about the causes, symptoms, and treatment methods of Adult Still’s Disease can improve the quality of life of patients and make it easier for them to cope with the disease. In this article we have prepared for you, we will learn together what Adult Still’s Disease is and how it is treated.
What is Adult Still’s Disease?
Adult Still’s Disease is a disease characterized by inflammation in various parts of the body and has a rheumatic base. This disease, which usually occurs between the ages of 16 and 35, has similar characteristics to childhood Still’s disease but is considered a separate category because it occurs in adults. Adult Still’s disease is a very rare disease worldwide and affects approximately 1-2 out of every 100,000 people.
What Causes Adult Still’s Disease?
The exact cause of adult Still’s disease is unknown. However, some research suggests that genetic factors and environmental factors may play a role in the development of the disease. It is also thought that some viral infections may be the trigger of Adult Still’s Disease. Whether this disease has an autoimmune origin is still a matter of debate.
What are the Symptoms of Adult Still’s Disease?
Although the symptoms of Adult Still’s Disease vary from person to person, it usually occurs with the following symptoms:
- Fever, the most common symptom of the disease, usually rises to 39 degrees Celsius and above and becomes more severe in the evening hours.
- In adult Still’s disease, pain and swelling in joints such as the knees, hands, wrists, and ankles are common.
- Most patients develop a reddish or pinkish rash, especially during periods of fever.
- Swelling of the lymph nodes in the neck, armpit, and groin areas may occur.
- In some patients, the liver and spleen may become enlarged and their function may be impaired.
A rheumatology specialist should be consulted for the diagnosis and treatment of Adult Still’s Disease. Anti-inflammatory drugs, corticosteroids, and immunosuppressive drugs are usually used in the treatment process. In addition, it is important that patients have regular check-ups and make lifestyle changes in accordance with the doctor’s recommendations.
How is Adult Still’s Disease Diagnosed?
Adult Still’s disease (ESRD) is a rare systemic autoinflammatory disease that usually occurs in young adults and is characterized by fever, joint pains, and rashes. The diagnosis of adult Still’s disease is based on clinical and laboratory findings together with typical symptoms and signs. As there is no specific laboratory test or identifying marker for this disease, the diagnostic process is complex and requires careful evaluation.
The following steps are followed for the diagnosis of adult Still’s disease:
- Patients typically present with symptoms such as high fever, joint pains, rashes, muscle aches and swollen lymph nodes. These symptoms provide important clues in the diagnosis of the disease.
- Patients with adult Still’s disease often have high levels of inflammatory markers. These include C-reactive protein (CRP), erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), and serum ferritin levels. However, these tests are non-specific and may be associated with other inflammatory diseases.
- Imaging modalities such as ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) can be used to diagnose adult Still’s disease. These methods help to assess the organs and tissues affected by the disease.
- The signs and symptoms of adult Still’s disease may overlap with other diseases such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, infections, and malignancies. Therefore, it is important to exclude these diseases and make the correct diagnosis.
- Some clinical criteria and guidelines can be used to diagnose adult Still’s disease. For example, the Yamaguchi criteria include specific clinical and laboratory findings for the diagnosis of the disease. Applying these criteria can speed up the diagnostic process and help achieve more precise results.
What are the Treatment Methods for Adult Still’s Disease?
Treatment of adult Still’s disease varies depending on the severity of the disease, the affected organs, and the general health status of the patient. The aim of treatment is to control inflammation, relieve symptoms and prevent organ damage. The methods used in the treatment of adult Still’s disease are as follows:
- The first treatment option is usually to use nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These medicines help to relieve fever and joint pain. Steroids may also be used to control inflammation, depending on the severity of the disease. For patients who do not respond to steroids or have severe disease, biological agents and immunosuppressive drugs may be used.
- Physiotherapy can be applied to improve joint pain and mobility. This method helps patients to be more independent and comfortable in their daily lives.
- Supportive therapies can be applied to improve the quality of life of patients with adult Still’s disease. These include pain management, sleep regulation and nutritional counseling.
- For patients with severe joint damage due to adult Still’s disease, surgical methods such as joint replacement may be used.
- It is important that patients with adult Still’s disease are followed up regularly and their treatment plan is updated. This helps to keep the disease under control and prevent complications.
In the treatment of adult Still’s disease, it is important to adopt a multidisciplinary approach and take into account the individual needs of patients. This will help to improve the patient’s quality of life and minimize the long-term effects of the disease.
Adult Still’s Disease Treatment Prices in Turkey
Türkiye has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and relatives of patients who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Adult Still’s Disease Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi