Scoliosis Treatment: New discoveries and developments in the field of medicine provide hope for many diseases. Diseases that deeply affect people’s lives are now treated with minor surgical operations. Turkey is among the most successful countries in the treatment of these diseases.
- What is Scoliosis (Spine Curvature)?
- What are the Symptoms of Scoliosis Disease?
- What are Scoliosis Grades?
- How is Scoliosis Surgery Performed?
- How Many Hours Does Scoliosis Surgery Take?
- What are the Risks of Scoliosis Surgery?
- How to Do Scoliosis Exercises?
- How should patients with scoliosis lie down?
- Scoliosis Treatment Prices in Turkey
Because of the investments made by the Republic of Turkey in the field of health, the newly established city hospitals, and the talented and specialist doctors it has trained, it is making great progress both in the treatment and research of diseases.
One of these diseases is Scoliosis Disease. In this article that we have researched for you, we will try to share with you the answers to the most curious questions by everyone, such as what is scoliosis, how many hours does the surgery take, what are the risks.
What is Scoliosis (Spine Curvature)?
The curvatures that occur in the spine of the person to the right or left side are called Scoliosis, that is, spinal curvature in the colloquial language. Curvatures are usually located in the chest and waist region. This disease is common in our age.
The movements of people with this disease are more difficult and limited than the movements that normal people can do during the day. For this reason, people who have difficulties in their daily routine life seek the remedy in treatments.
There are certain degrees of curvature in the spine, namely scoliosis. The treatment method is determined according to these degrees. These curvatures are treated not on their own, but with physical therapy movements, scoliosis treatment exercises and surgical interventions applied during the treatment process.
What are the Symptoms of Scoliosis Disease?
Each disease is known to be personal. This person’s characteristic situation also happens in scoliosis disease. This disease, which does not show many symptoms in the early stages, can bring along other diseases if it is diagnosed late. For this reason, if you have one or more of the symptoms listed below, you should consult a doctor and if you have scoliosis, it should be diagnosed and treated early.
There may be different degrees of scoliosis and different symptoms in these degrees. The most common symptoms that patients usually experience are as follows:
- The person’s spine has started to curve towards the right or left side
- A curve that can be seen from the outside in the spine of the person
- Having an asymmetrical image on the shoulder and hip of the person
- The person has difficulty in standing upright at normal times
- Shortness of breath problems experienced by the person
- Some problems in walking
- Pain in the waist, shoulder and back of the person
- Finally, one of the most common symptoms is that the clothes that the person has bought do not fit properly as before
What are Scoliosis Grades?
Grades of scoliosis occurring in patients; It is calculated by computed tomography method, radiography method and MRI method.
These grades are examined in three grades as mild, moderate and severe. If the degree of curvature in the spine is 10 or less, it is not called scoliosis. This degree of disease is called spinal asymmetry.
Mild Scoliosis; Mild scoliosis is when the curvature of the spine is 20 or less. At this level, doctors usually do not apply for treatment, but it should be checked whether the curvature continues.
Moderate Scoliosis; Scoliosis values measured between 20-40 degrees are called moderate scoliosis. This degree of scoliosis, which is usually diagnosed in children between the ages of 10-15, enters the healing process with physical therapy corset treatment to be applied to the patient.
Severe Degree Scoliosis; At this value measured at 40 and above, the doctor resorts to surgical intervention at this stage, since the spinal curve of the person is extremely pronounced and severe.
How is Scoliosis Surgery Performed?
Scoliosis surgeries are performed under the influence of general anesthesia. The name of the method used in the surgery is spinal fusion. Let’s learn together how this surgery is done.
Spinal Fusion Treatment Method; With this surgical method applied by the doctor, the curvatures of the patient’s spine are corrected, while the doctor performs the operation with bones taken from certain parts of the patient. In addition to these bones, metal rods, wires and screws are also used. With this surgery, it is aimed to get rid of the curvature of the spine.
This surgery is not recommended for children younger than 10 years old. In order to stop the progression of scoliosis in children, sticks specially produced for them are preferred. These sticks used do not adversely affect the lung development of children. However, as children develop and grow, they need to be operated again and the rods must be repositioned by lengthening them.
After this long and heavy surgery, the recovery process may take a little longer than other surgical interventions. After the operation, a hospital stay of up to 7 days can be observed. Depending on the complications that may occur, this process may take longer.
After 30 days, the patient can return to his daily life, and after 90 days he can participate in sports activities.
How Many Hours Does Scoliosis Surgery Take?
Every surgery and every disease is personal. For this reason, it is not correct to give a clear operation time considering the complications that may occur in the operating room during the operation.
But assuming everything is going well, scoliosis surgery usually takes 3-4 hours.
What are the Risks of Scoliosis Surgery?
Every surgery, whether big or small, long or short, has certain risks. This surgery has some risks. We can list the risks of scoliosis surgery for you as follows:
- clot formation
- The risk of infection in the wound areas, This risk factor is eliminated with antibiotics used after surgery
- The risk that the prosthesis applied to the person is not fully seated, This risk can be corrected by re-operating the person
- Damage to the nerves in the spine during surgery
- Risk of paralysis or numbness of the legs (rare)
- Damage to the nerves that affect the bowel movements of the person, (Rare)
How to Do Scoliosis Exercises?
Curvatures in the spine of people are corrected by certain exercise methods, corset treatment or surgery under the supervision of doctors. One of the things that doctors generally recommend is exercise methods.
However, it is not recommended to do these exercises without the advice of a doctor. The degree of exercise should be determined by the doctor. The age of the people and the degree of scoliosis disease they have also affect the exercise to be done. First of all, the doctor’s advice should be followed and the movements suggested by him should be done. Especially young children’s exercise plans should be under the supervision of a doctor.
How should patients with scoliosis lie down?
Lying with equal load on the spine while lying down is a good way to lie down. It also allows the person to lie on their back. Lying the patient in the supine position will also affect the progression of this disease and prevent it.
Another sleeping position is side lying. The pillow placed between the feet while lying on their sides is also one of the best positions for the person. Although the prone position is preferred by everyone, it is not recommended by doctors because it causes back flattening.
Scoliosis Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey continues to spread hope to people who are sick by showing an advanced level of success in the treatment of many diseases. In the treatment of scoliosis, which is difficult in terms of application and long in duration, the expertise and experience of Turkish doctors give patients confidence.
Turkish hospitals and Turkish doctors, which are particularly prominent in the foreign press, are preferred by many foreign patients.
- Hospitals are equipped with the latest technology
- Hospitals are large and comfortable
- Doctors should be experienced, helpful, empathetic, conscientious people
- Hospitality and helpfulness of doctors, caregivers, nurses and all hospital staff who take care of patients during the treatment process
- Easy access to Turkey
- Providing treatments at affordable prices
- Affordable accommodation and food
- The fact that it has natural and historical beauties that offer patients the opportunity to vacation after treatment can be shown among the reasons why hospitals in Turkey are preferred
If you, too, would like to choose Turkey for the treatment of scoliosis, you can contact us for answers to all the questions you have in mind and for detailed price information.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi