Lengthening surgery: Rapidly advancing technology continues to appear in the field of medicine with new methods.
- What is Length Extension Surgery?
- To Whom Is Lengthening Surgery Applied?
- How Many Cm Does the Lengthening Surgery Extend the Height?
- What are the methods of lengthening surgery?
- How is Length Extension Surgery Performed?
- How Long Does the Lengthening Surgery Take?
- Height Surgery Turkey
- Leg Lengthening Surgery in Turkey
- Holyfix Lengthening Technique
- What are the Risks of Lengthening Surgery?
- Length Extension Prices in Turkey
- Lengthening Turkey Height Solutions
- Limb Lengthening Cost in Turkey
- The Most Commonly Used Lengthening Method
- What are the Advantages of Length Extension?
- What are the Disadvantages of Length Extension?
- When Can You Move Freely Again?
- The Level of Pain Experienced During Leg-Lengthening Surgery
- How painful is a leg lengthening?
- Before-After Length Extension Surgery
Medical science, which finds solutions to people’s diseases in many fields, also solves the problems of people who have lost their self-confidence due to aesthetic concerns and restores the lost self-confidence.
Another method preferred by both men and women and performed due to aesthetic concerns is lengthening. In this article we have prepared for you, we will talk about how patients who do not want to be short in stature for some reason get taller, and what awaits them.
What is Length Extension Surgery?
Due to the plaques that close after a certain age, people stop growing in height. In this case, individuals who remain short and do not continue to grow are disturbed by this situation and seek a solution in lengthening surgeries.
The lengthening process takes a little longer. The bone to be lengthened by surgical operation is cut and it is opened by 1 millimeter every day and the space between is expected to be filled with bone. This process is called distraction osteogenesis. In other words, bone grows on its own in the opened space and begins to grow in height.
If the person’s height increases up to 8 cm, a surgical operation is performed either from the thigh bone, which is the upper bone or from the tibia, which is the lower bone. If the lengthening process is 10 or more, the bone lengthening process is done from both bones.
With these procedures, the nerves, vessels, muscles, and all other tissues surrounding the bone structure of the person lengthen by adapting without experiencing a sudden opening as the process progresses slowly.
To Whom Is Lengthening Surgery Applied?
Lengthening surgery is applied to people who experience short stature for various reasons. The growth plates of the people remain open until the age of 18-20 and the height continues to grow. After these ages, the growth stops due to the closing plates.
It would be a very healthy decision for the person to wait until the age of 20 to have a height increase surgery. In patients with dwarfism detected at an early age due to some reasons, lengthening surgery is performed at the age of 3 years. This operation, which is performed in 2-3 stages, is performed in 10-year-old children in one go, depending on the patient and height. The upper age limit for the lengthening process is 45-50 years.
How Many Cm Does the Lengthening Surgery Extend the Height?
Every surgery is personal. For this reason, it would not be correct to say an exact number. The amount that the person wants to stretch and the amount that the doctor recommends for the patient affect this number. The doctor and the patient should decide on the process by meeting in advance and the most appropriate method should be selected for the patient.
To answer the question of how many cm the lengthening operation lengthens, which everyone is curious about, an elongation of 7-10 cm can be achieved after a period of 4-6 months. In some cases, both the thigh and the shin bones of the person can be elongated up to 15 cm by processing with appropriate methods and techniques.
What are the methods of lengthening surgery?
In lengthening surgery, there are multiple methods and techniques applied by doctors. We can list them for you as follows:
- Length Extension Technique with the Ilizarov Circular Fixator Method
- LON: Lengthening Over Nails with Combined Method
- Length Extension Technique with Precice Intramedullary Method
- Length Extension Technique with Precice Stryde Method
- Height Extension Technique with Holyfix Method
How is Length Extension Surgery Performed?
As in every surgery, the operation is performed with either general or local anesthesia in lengthening surgery. In this operation, which is performed in two stages, the leg bone to be lengthened is first cut in two, transversely. After this cutting process called osteotomy, some leg fixation devices are attached and the leg is fixed.
The new bone tissue that will form in the middle of the bone-splitting process is called distraction osteogenesis. The device, which is placed in the space between the separated bones of the person for the formation of new bone tissue, is opened four times a day. The size of this opening is one-quarter of a millimeter. At the end of the day, the device is opened by 1 millimeter.
During the treatment process, it is important that the person does not step on his feet and walks with the help of crutches.
In the second stage of the treatment process, the formed bone heals and hardens completely. At this stage, the person is now set up from the crutches and can start walking normally. After the necessary examinations and examination, if the healing is confirmed by taking an x-ray film on the treated leg, the device is now removed. The new bone formed in the person’s body is strong and solid like other bones.
The duration of the person’s stay under observation in the hospital after the operation is two days. Unless an additional complication develops, this process may not be prolonged. Although there are no large deep scars on the person’s body, the scars of this surgery are quite small.
How Long Does the Lengthening Surgery Take?
Each disease is different from each other and each treatment process varies from person to person. If no adverse situation develops during the operation of the person, the duration of this operation takes an average of 1.5 – 2 hours. After the treatment, the patient stays under observation for two days and is discharged from the hospital at the end of two days.
The entire treatment process varies according to the treatment methods and techniques used by the doctor, according to the age of the patient, and the cm to be extended.
For example, in the lengthening method performed with devices placed in the bone; For an adult to increase 5 cm in height, a treatment period of 4 or 6 months is required.
Height Surgery Turkey
Height surgery, also known as limb lengthening surgery, is a surgical procedure that can increase a person’s height by up to 8 inches (20 cm). It is a complex procedure that involves cutting the bones of the legs and inserting a metal device that slowly separates the bones over time. New bone tissue then grows in the gap, making the legs longer.
Height surgery is most commonly performed on people with dwarfism or other conditions that have caused them to be abnormally short. However, it can also be performed on people who are simply unhappy with their height.
Why is Turkey a popular destination for height surgery?
Turkey has become a popular destination for height surgery in recent years due to the following factors:
- Affordable cost: Height surgery is typically much more affordable in Turkey than in other developed countries.
- High-quality care: Turkish hospitals and surgeons are known for providing high-quality care to patients from all over the world.
- Experience: Turkey has a long history of performing limb-lengthening surgery, and its surgeons are some of the most experienced in the world.
What is the procedure for height surgery in Turkey?
The procedure for height surgery in Turkey typically involves the following steps:
- The surgeon will make two incisions in the leg, one above and one below the bone that is to be lengthened.
- The surgeon will then cut the bone and insert a metal device called an external fixator.
- The external fixator has two rings that are attached to the bone with pins. The rings are connected by a series of rods that can be adjusted to gradually lengthen the bone.
- The patient will need to wear the external fixator for several months, during which time the bone will slowly lengthen.
- Once the bone has reached the desired length, the external fixator will be removed and the incisions will be closed.
What are the risks and complications of height surgery?
Height surgery is a complex procedure with a number of potential risks and complications, including:
- Infection: Infection is the most common complication of height surgery.
- Nerve damage: Nerve damage can occur as a result of the surgery or from the external fixator.
- Blood clots: Blood clots can form in the legs and travel to the lungs, which can be life-threatening.
- Bone fracture: The bones can fracture during the surgery or during the lengthening process.
- Malunion: Malunion occurs when the bones do not heal properly after the surgery.
- Leg length discrepancy: Leg length discrepancy can occur if one leg is lengthened more than the other.
How to choose a height surgery clinic in Turkey
When choosing a height surgery clinic in Turkey, it is important to consider the following factors:
- Reputation: Choose a clinic with a good reputation and a track record of successful surgeries.
- Surgeon experience: Choose a surgeon who is experienced in performing height surgery.
- Cost: Compare the cost of surgery at different clinics.
- Facilities: Make sure the clinic has the necessary facilities and equipment to perform height surgery safely and effectively.
Leg Lengthening Surgery in Turkey
Leg lengthening surgery, also known as limb lengthening surgery, is a medical procedure that aims to increase the length of the legs. This surgery is becoming increasingly popular, and Turkey has emerged as one of the leading destinations for this procedure.
Turkey offers world-class medical facilities and highly skilled surgeons who specialize in leg lengthening surgery. The country’s reputation for providing excellent healthcare services, coupled with its affordable prices, makes it an attractive option for individuals seeking this procedure.
Leg lengthening surgery involves the use of an external fixator, which is attached to the patient’s leg bones. Over a period of several months, the fixator gradually stretches the bones, allowing new bone tissue to form and increase the length of the legs.
Patients who undergo leg lengthening surgery in Turkey can expect a comprehensive treatment plan, including pre-operative consultations, the surgery itself, and post-operative care. The surgeons in Turkey are experienced in this field and ensure that the procedure is conducted with utmost precision and care.
However, it is essential for individuals considering leg lengthening surgery to thoroughly research and consult with medical professionals before making a decision. They should weigh the potential risks and benefits associated with the surgery and carefully choose a reputable clinic and surgeon.
In conclusion, leg lengthening surgery in Turkey offers individuals the opportunity to enhance their physical appearance and improve their self-confidence. With its advanced medical facilities and skilled surgeons, Turkey has become a sought-after destination for this procedure.
Holyfix Lengthening Technique
The holyfix lengthening technique is a revolutionary method that aims to increase the length of various body parts, such as limbs and fingers. This technique involves a combination of surgical procedures and advanced medical technology to achieve desired results.
The procedure begins with a thorough assessment of the patient’s condition and goals. Once deemed suitable, a surgical procedure is performed to create controlled fractures in the bones of the targeted body part. These fractures are carefully managed to ensure proper alignment and stability during the healing process.
After the surgery, the patient undergoes a period of rehabilitation, which includes physical therapy and specialized exercises. During this time, a device known as an external fixator is used to gradually lengthen the bones. This fixator applies gentle tension to the fractured bones, stimulating new bone growth and allowing the body part to lengthen over time.
The holyfix lengthening technique offers numerous benefits, including increased height, improved functionality, and enhanced aesthetics. However, it is crucial to note that this procedure is not without risks and complications. Patients considering this technique should consult with a qualified medical professional to fully understand the potential outcomes and make an informed decision.
In conclusion, the holyfix lengthening technique is a groundbreaking method that can help individuals achieve their desired body proportions. With proper evaluation, meticulous surgical procedures, and diligent rehabilitation, this technique holds the potential to transform lives and boost self-confidence.
What are the Risks of Lengthening Surgery?
Each surgical operation has risks according to its own level. However, since lengthening procedures are generally successful at a rate of 95%, there are very few complications and risks. But it is very important to see a good doctor.
Before the procedure, the doctor and the patient should make a preliminary examination, of the drugs used by the patient, and whether there is an adverse situation against anesthesia, past health stories should be listened and an operation plan should be made accordingly.
If you do not choose the doctor well and do this surgery with people who are not experts and skilled, gait disruptions may occur, angular problems may occur, and deep scars may remain.
Length Extension Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to make a name for itself in lengthening surgeries, as in every other field. While the echoes of his serious surgeries continue in the world press, Turkey is the first choice of foreign patients abroad.
Many factors such as a large hospital and comfortable healthcare environment, friendly and compassionate healthcare workers, holiday opportunities in Turkey, and affordable treatment are among the reasons for choosing Turkey.
If you also want to have lengthening surgery and want to make your choice in Turkey, you can contact us with all the questions you have in mind and detailed price information.
Lengthening Turkey Height Solutions
Turkey has become a popular destination for people seeking height-lengthening surgery. This is due to a number of factors, including the country’s affordable prices, high-quality care, and experienced surgeons.
There are two main types of height-lengthening surgery: internal fixation and external fixation. Internal fixation involves inserting metal rods into the bones of the legs. External fixation involves attaching a metal frame to the outside of the legs.
The type of surgery that is best for you will depend on your individual circumstances. If you are a good candidate for height-lengthening surgery, your surgeon will develop a personalized treatment plan for you.
What to expect from height lengthening surgery in Turkey
- The first step in the height-lengthening process is to undergo a thorough evaluation by a surgeon. This will involve a physical examination, imaging tests, and blood tests.
- If you are cleared for surgery, your surgeon will schedule your procedure. Height lengthening surgery is typically performed under general anesthesia.
- During surgery, your surgeon will make two incisions in the leg, one above and one below the bone that is to be lengthened. The surgeon will then cut the bone and insert the metal device that will be used to lengthen the bone.
- If you are having internal fixation surgery, the metal rods will be inserted into the bones. If you are having external fixation surgery, the metal frame will be attached to the outside of the legs.
- After surgery, you will need to stay in the hospital for a few days. During this time, you will be monitored for complications and taught how to care for your external fixator (if you have one).
- Once you are discharged from the hospital, you will need to wear your external fixator for several months. During this time, you will need to return to the clinic regularly for adjustments to the device.
- Once your bones have reached the desired length, your surgeon will remove the metal device and close the incisions.
Recovery from height-lengthening surgery
The recovery time from height lengthening surgery varies depending on the individual. However, most people are able to return to work or school within a few weeks of surgery.
It is important to follow your surgeon’s instructions carefully during the recovery process. This will help to ensure that your bones heal properly and that you experience minimal complications.
Benefits of height lengthening surgery
Height lengthening surgery can have a number of benefits, including:
- Increased height: Height lengthening surgery can increase your height by up to 8 inches (20 cm).
- Improved self-esteem: Many people who have height lengthening surgery report feeling more confident and self-assured after surgery.
- Increased opportunities: Height lengthening surgery can increase your opportunities in both personal and professional life.
Risks and complications of height lengthening surgery
Height lengthening surgery is a complex procedure with a number of potential risks and complications, including:
- Nerve damage
- Blood clots
- Bone fracture
- Leg length discrepancy
It is important to weigh the risks and benefits carefully before deciding whether to have height-lengthening surgery.
Limb Lengthening Cost in Turkey
|Cost Range (USD)
|Cost Range (INR)
|2,000 – 5,000
|164000 – 410000
|Medications and Supplies
|300 – 800
|24600 – 65600
|400 – 1,000
|32800 – 82000
|Physiotherapy per session
|80 – 200
|6560 – 16400
The Most Commonly Used Lengthening Method
The most commonly used lengthening method is the Lengthening Over Nail (LON) method. This method uses an internal nail and an external fixator to gradually lengthen the bone.
The LON method is typically performed on the long bones of the legs, such as the femur (thigh bone) and tibia (shin bone). However, it can also be used to lengthen the bones of the arms and other parts of the body.
The LON procedure begins with the surgeon making two incisions in the leg, one above and one below the bone that is to be lengthened. The surgeon then inserts the internal nail into the bone. The internal nail has a series of holes that allow for the attachment of the external fixator.
The external fixator is a metal frame that is attached to the outside of the leg. It is connected to the internal nail by a series of rods. The rods can be adjusted to gradually lengthen the bone.
The patient will need to wear the external fixator for several months, during which time the bone will slowly lengthen. Once the bone has reached the desired length, the external fixator will be removed and the incisions will be closed.
The LON method has a number of advantages over other lengthening methods, including:
- It is a relatively simple and straightforward procedure.
- It is less invasive than other lengthening methods.
- It is associated with fewer complications than other lengthening methods.
- It allows for a greater degree of lengthening than other lengthening methods.
Disadvantages of the LON method:
- The external fixator can be bulky and uncomfortable.
- The patient will need to undergo surgery twice, once to insert the internal nail and once to remove it.
- The patient will need to be careful not to bump or damage the external fixator.
Overall, the LON method is a safe and effective way to lengthen the bones of the legs and other parts of the body. It is the most commonly used lengthening method due to its advantages over other methods.
What are the Advantages of Length Extension?
- Increased height: The most obvious advantage of length extension surgery is that it can increase a person’s height. This can be especially beneficial for people who have a height-related medical condition, such as dwarfism, or for those who simply feel self-conscious about their height.
- Improved self-esteem: Many people who have length extension surgery report feeling more confident and self-assured after surgery. This is because they are finally able to live life at a height that feels comfortable and natural to them.
- Increased opportunities: Length extension surgery can increase a person’s opportunities in both personal and professional life. For example, people who are taller may be more likely to be hired for certain jobs or to be successful in certain sports.
- Improved mobility: For people with certain medical conditions, such as leg length discrepancy, length extension surgery can improve mobility and reduce the risk of pain and injury.
- Improved quality of life: Overall, length extension surgery can improve a person’s quality of life by helping them to feel more confident, self-assured, and capable.
What are the Disadvantages of Length Extension?
- Cost: Length extension surgery can be expensive, especially if it is performed outside of a country with a socialized healthcare system.
- Length of time: The length extension process can take several months, during which time the patient will need to wear an external fixator. This can be uncomfortable and restrictive.
- Pain and discomfort: Length extension surgery is a painful procedure, and patients can expect to experience significant pain and discomfort during the recovery process.
- Risk of complications: Like any surgery, length extension surgery carries a risk of complications. These complications can include infection, nerve damage, blood clots, and bone fracture.
- Permanent changes to the body: Length extension surgery is a permanent change to the body. Once the surgery is performed, there is no way to reverse it.
When Can You Move Freely Again?
For the first few weeks after surgery, you will need to wear an external fixator. This is a metal frame that attaches to the outside of your leg and helps to keep the bones in alignment while they heal. The external fixator can be bulky and uncomfortable, and it will limit your range of motion.
Once the bones have started to heal, your surgeon will remove the external fixator. This will typically happen around 3-4 months after surgery. After the external fixator is removed, you will be able to start moving your leg more freely.
However, it is important to note that it will still take some time for the bones to fully heal and for you to regain your full range of motion. It is important to follow your surgeon’s instructions and to participate in physical therapy to help you recover.
Most people are able to walk without crutches within 2-3 months after the external fixator is removed. However, it is important to be patient and to listen to your body. Do not push yourself too hard, as this could risk injuring the bones.
Here are some tips for moving freely after length extension surgery:
- Start slowly. Don’t try to do too much too soon. Start by walking short distances and gradually increase the distance as you get stronger.
- Listen to your body. If you feel any pain, stop and rest. Don’t push yourself through the pain.
- Do your physical therapy exercises. Physical therapy can help you to regain your range of motion and strength.
- Be patient. It takes time for the bones to fully heal and for you to regain your full range of motion. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t see results immediately.
The Level of Pain Experienced During Leg-Lengthening Surgery
- The individual’s pain tolerance
- The type of surgery being performed
- The extent of the surgery
- The presence of any complications
In general, patients can expect to experience the most pain in the days immediately following surgery. The pain will gradually subside over time, but it may take several weeks or even months for the pain to completely disappear.
There are a number of things that can be done to manage the pain associated with leg lengthening surgery, including:
- Pain medication: Patients will typically be prescribed pain medication to help manage the pain during the recovery process.
- Physical therapy: Physical therapy can help to reduce pain and stiffness and improve range of motion.
- Ice and heat therapy: Ice and heat therapy can be used to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Elevation: Elevating the leg can help to reduce swelling and pain.
How painful is a leg lengthening?
Leg lengthening surgery is a major surgery that involves cutting the bones of the legs and inserting a metal device that slowly separates the bones over time. New bone tissue then grows in the gap, making the legs longer.
Leg lengthening surgery is not a painless procedure. Patients can expect to experience significant pain and discomfort during the surgery and during the recovery process.
Before-After Length Extension Surgery
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi