Lower Jaw Surgery
- Lower Jaw Surgery
- How is Lower Jaw Surgery Performed?
- How Many Hours Does Jaw Surgery Take?
- In Which Situations Is Lower Jaw Surgery Performed?
- At What Age Is Lower Jaw Surgery Performed?
- How Many Days Does Lower Jaw Surgery Heal?
- Is Lower Jaw Surgery Risky?
- Lower Jaw Surgery Prices in Turkey , Lower Jaw Surgery Cost in Turkey
The facial region is our limbs that attract attention at first glance. Although congenital or acquired deformations on the face of people deeply affect the psychology of the person, they seek solutions.
The chin area is a region that has different appearances in humans. Conditions that affect the appearance of people, such as congenital or acquired chin recession, are now corrected by surgery.
Many diseases remained the fate of the patient before medicine completed its development process. Today, revolutionary technological developments, especially in the field of medicine, have removed many diseases from being fate and provided people with the opportunity to heal.
One of them is chin treatment. The forward or backward condition that occurs in the congenital or later jaws of people is now corrected with an easy surgery. In lower jaw surgery, the forward jaw is surgically retracted or a posterior jaw is moved forward.
How is Lower Jaw Surgery Performed?
Mandible surgery is a surgical intervention performed under general anesthesia by specialist surgeons in hospitals. The possibility of any complications that may occur during this procedure should be determined in advance and necessary precautions should be taken.
After the necessary tests and examinations are done, the doctor who decides to have the surgery should also explain the possible risks to the patient.
In lower jaw surgery, it should be planned how the procedure will be performed according to the condition of the jaw. If the chin is forward, it is taken back. If it is behind, the transactions are completed by taking it forward. In the lower jaw surgery, after the patient is given general anesthesia, an incision of 3-4 cm is made on the jawbone, in the mouth, from the back of the teeth.
If the jawbone is to be taken forward, extra bone tissue is placed in the space to be left, and if it is to be taken back, the excess bone structure is cut and fixed with small screws.
How Many Hours Does Jaw Surgery Take?
As with any surgery, chin surgery is personal and has some risks. Many factors such as the size of the defect in the person’s jaw, the treatment method, and the mishaps that may occur during the operation affect the operation process.
However, if we assume that the surgery is quite successful and proceeds normally, lower jaw surgery and upper jaw surgery take 1-2 hours on average.
In Which Situations Is Lower Jaw Surgery Performed?
Mandible disorders can be in a noticeable deformity from the first glance. In this case, the psychology of the person deteriorates day by day and begins to seek treatment methods. The most permanent method for this is chin surgery.
However, surgeons do not operate in all cases. Listed below are the situations in which jaw surgery is performed:
- Every individual over the age of 18 has a lower jaw disorder complaint
- The condition called prognathism, where the lower jaw is quite forward
- The condition called micrognathism, where the lower jaw is quite backward
- The lower jaw is crooked to the right or left
- The tip of the person’s chin is large or small
- The tip of the person’s chin is forward or backward
- Factors such as an asymmetrical appearance on the face may require surgery
At What Age Is Lower Jaw Surgery Performed?
A person’s bone development usually takes until the age of 18. In this case, any kind of surgery that will hinder the development is avoided. One of them is lower jaw surgery.
Doctors recommend waiting for the patient’s 18th birthday for lower jaw surgery to resolve the person’s jaw problems. Because previous surgery may disrupt the patient’s bone development.
However, if there are situations that should not be kept waiting or if urgent intervention is required, the doctor can perform this surgery at an earlier age.
How Many Days Does Lower Jaw Surgery Heal?
- Lower jaw surgery is an important procedure that is performed under the influence of anesthesia, with the possibility of serious complications. For this reason, the things to be done before the surgery are explained to the patient by the doctor and it is expected to be strictly followed:
- Antibiotics are used as a preventive measure.
- After the operation, when the effect of anesthesia wears off, normal pain may begin, facial swelling and edema may occur. These should be controlled by using medication under the supervision of a doctor.
- If necessary, together with the doctor’s controls, the patient can stay under observation in the hospital for 1-3 days.
- When the person regains consciousness, he or she can start feeding with liquid foods if there is no other situation.
- At the end of 3-4 days following the surgery, dressings and sutures can be removed.
Is Lower Jaw Surgery Risky?
As in every surgical intervention, there are some risks in this surgery and the patient and his relatives should be informed before the operation. Possible side effects and risks after lower jaw surgery are listed below:
- There may be swelling of the face, a feeling of nausea and vomiting, tiny blood leaks.
- Although it is very rare, there may be partial or complete loss of sensation in the lower lip.
- The nerves that provide the sensation of the lower lips and teeth are protected as much as possible during the operation. Otherwise, if these nerves are damaged, they are treated with microsurgery, that is, with a microscope, which doctors will do.
- Before the operation, the patient’s entire health history should be reviewed, tests and examinations should be performed. If there is no serious problem that the patient hides from his doctor, there is no risk of death in this surgery.
Lower Jaw Surgery Prices in Turkey , Lower Jaw Surgery Cost in Turkey
As in many areas, Turkey is among the preferred countries in the field of health. The value that Turkey attaches to the health sector and the investments it makes are also known by the whole world.
As such, the most reliable surgeons, who are experts in technology, are still in Turkey. For this reason, this country is preferred especially by foreign patients during the treatment process.
The idea that the treatment is in reliable hands, at an affordable price and then in a holiday paradise with its natural beauties attracts patients. If you also want to prefer Turkey for mandibular treatment, you can contact us to learn about prices and general information.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi