Erythrocytes, also known as red blood cells (RBC), are one of the most important components of blood, which undertakes the function of carrying oxygen in the human body. Red blood cells carry the oxygen required for energy production in the body from the lungs to other cells and also carry the carbon dioxide produced by the cells back to the lungs to be excreted. Therefore, it is of great importance for a healthy life that the erythrocyte value is within the normal range. In this article we have written for you, information is given about how much the erythrocyte value should be and the reasons that occur if the values are high or low.
What should be the erythrocyte (RBC) value?
Erythrocyte value may vary depending on age and gender. In general, it is accepted between 4. 7 to 6. 1 million cells / microlitre in men and between 4. 2 to 5. 4 million cells / microlitre in women. In children and infants, these values vary depending on their age. If the erythrocyte value is within these ranges, it means that the body can meet its oxygen needs.
Causes of RBC Elevation
A condition in which the erythrocyte value is higher than normal is called polycythaemia. Polycythemia means that the oxygen carrying capacity of the body is increased and may indicate some health problems. The causes of high RBC are as follows:
- In people living at high altitude, the body produces more erythrocytes due to low oxygen levels.
- Kidney tumors can increase the release of a hormone called erythropoietin, which increases erythrocyte production.
- Lung diseases cause the body to produce more erythrocytes by reducing oxygen intake.
- When the body loses water, the blood thickens and the erythrocyte value increases.
- Some genetic disorders, such as familial polycythemia, can increase erythrocyte production.
Causes of Low RBC
A condition in which the erythrocyte value is lower than normal is called anemia. Anaemia means that the body is unable to meet its oxygen needs and can lead to various health problems. The causes of low RBC are as follows:
- Iron deficiency reduces the production of hemoglobin, which plays an important role in the production of erythrocytes.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency prevents the maturation and division of erythrocytes.
- Bone marrow diseases can cause low RBC by affecting erythrocyte production.
- Kidney diseases can reduce erythrocyte production by reducing the production of the hormone erythropoietin.
- Blood loss due to trauma, surgical interventions and excessive menstrual bleeding can lead to low RBC.
What does a low erythrocyte count mean?
Low erythrocyte count refers to a condition in which the number of red blood cells (RBC) is less than normal. Erythrocytes are blood cells that carry oxygen to the body and collect carbon dioxide waste. Therefore, a low erythrocyte count means that not enough oxygen is reaching the body’s cells and can lead to various health problems.
The main causes of low erythrocyte count are:
- Iron deficiency leads to a decrease in the synthesis of hemoglobin, which is necessary for the production of red blood cells. This leads to a low erythrocyte count and anemia.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency prevents the maturation of red blood cells and leads to a low erythrocyte count.
- The kidneys produce a hormone called erythropoietin, which stimulates the production of erythrocytes in the bone marrow. In people with chronic kidney disease, the production of erythropoietin may decrease, leading to a low erythrocyte count.
- In patients undergoing cancer treatment, chemotherapy and radiation therapy can damage bone marrow cells and reduce erythrocyte production.
Low red blood cell count can cause symptoms such as tiredness, shortness of breath, dizziness, weakness, and pale skin. Treatment of low erythrocyte count is carried out by determining the underlying cause and applying appropriate treatment methods.
What Does Elevated Erythrocyte Count Mean?
Elevated erythrocyte count refers to a condition in which the number of red blood cells (RBC) is higher than normal. This can cause the blood to become thicker and stickier, leading to slow blood flow and blood clots. Elevated erythrocyte counts can cause various health problems and complications.
The main causes of high erythrocyte count are:
- Polycythemia vera is a blood disorder that causes excessive production of erythrocytes in the bone marrow. Polycythemia vera is usually associated with genetic factors and age.
- People living at high altitudes produce more erythrocytes to adapt to low oxygen levels. This can lead to an increased number of erythrocytes.
- Kidney tumors can increase erythrocyte production in the bone marrow by producing excessive amounts of the hormone erythropoietin.
- Dehydration can cause a decrease in blood volume and a relative increase in the number of erythrocytes.
Elevated erythrocyte count can cause symptoms such as headache, dizziness, itching, red skin, fatigue and shortness of breath. Treatment of an elevated erythrocyte count is carried out by identifying the underlying cause and applying appropriate treatment methods. These treatments may include methods such as blood thinning, increasing hydration, and treating underlying diseases.
RBC Treatment Prices in Turkey
Türkiye has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. RBC Treatment Prices in Turkey
We can see that patients and relatives of patients who want to come to Turkey are doing research. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi
This post is also available in: Türkçe