Corneal transplantation is the process of replacing the cornea, the transparent front layer of the eye, with a healthy cornea if it has lost its function due to disease, infection, trauma, or other damage. This procedure is performed to restore vision and improve eye health. Corneal transplantation is a common surgical procedure with successful results worldwide. In this article we have written for you, we will try to give information about who can undergo corneal transplantation, how the process works and the risks of this procedure.
- Who Can Undergo Corneal Transplantation?
- How Does the Cornea Transplant Process Work?
- What Are The Risks of Cornea Transplantation?
- What Is The Visual Acuity After Cornea Transplantation?
- Healing Process After Cornea Transplantation
- Considerations After Cornea Transplantation
- Cornea Transplant Treatment Prices in Turkey
Who Can Undergo Corneal Transplantation?
Corneal transplantation is usually performed in the following cases;
- Those who experience vision loss due to corneal clouding or loss of transparency,
- Corneal infections, corneal diseases such as keratoconus,
- Those who experience corneal damage after eye injuries or surgery,
- People affected by genetic or inherited diseases such as corneal degeneration and dystrophy,
Suitable candidates for cornea transplantation are determined as a result of evaluations and tests performed by ophthalmologists.
How Does the Cornea Transplant Process Work?
The cornea transplantation process includes the following steps;
- Firstly, a suitable cornea donor must be found. Donor corneas are taken from organ donors and stored under appropriate conditions.
- General or local anesthesia is applied to the patient. The type of anesthesia depends on the patient’s health condition and the doctor’s preference.
- During the surgical procedure, the patient’s damaged cornea is removed and replaced with a healthy cornea. The cornea is fixed with fine sutures.
- After the surgery, the patient’s eye is protected with bandages and glasses. During the recovery period, the patient is regularly checked by the ophthalmologist and appropriate medication is administered.
- The healing process may vary from patient to patient. Generally, complete recovery and restoration of vision can take several months.
What Are The Risks of Cornea Transplantation?
As with any surgical procedure, corneal transplantation also has some risks. These risks can be listed as follows;
- Although it is performed under sterile conditions, there is a risk of postoperative infection.
- Bleeding in the eye may occur during or after the surgical procedure.
- The body rejects the transplanted cornea by perceiving it as a foreign substance. This condition can be controlled with appropriate medication.
- After corneal transplantation, some patients may experience vision problems such as astigmatism, myopia, or hypermetropia. This condition is corrected by using glasses or contact lenses.
Corneal transplantation is a successful procedure to restore vision and improve eye health for suitable candidates. However, it is important to act in accordance with the doctor’s recommendations, taking into account the risks of this procedure and the recovery process.
What Is The Visual Acuity After Cornea Transplantation?
Corneal transplantation is a surgical procedure performed when the transparent layer in the front of the eye is damaged due to disease, injury, or infection. The rate of vision after corneal transplantation varies depending on the type of procedure performed, the general health status of the patient and the postoperative care process.
The rate of vision after corneal transplantation is usually high. Approximately 85-90% of patients have a better quality of vision after a successful corneal transplantation. When full corneal transplantation (penetrating keratoplasty) is performed, 60-70% of patients achieve a vision level of 20/40 or better, while 90% achieve a vision level of 20/60 or better. When partial corneal transplantation (lamellar keratoplasty) is performed, vision can be improved even more.
However, it should not be forgotten that vision after corneal transplantation is different in each patient and in some cases, especially due to other problems in the patient’s eye, vision may be low.
Healing Process After Cornea Transplantation
The recovery process after corneal transplantation varies depending on the type of procedure performed and the general health status of the patient. Generally, the recovery process after corneal transplantation is as follows;
- In the first days after surgery, the patient may have mild pain, swelling and redness in the eye. During this period, it is important to use the medications prescribed by the doctor regularly.
- In the first few weeks, the patient’s vision gradually improves. During this time, the patient may sometimes have mild blurriness and sensitivity to light.
- At this stage of the healing process, the patient’s vision improves further and the swelling and redness of the eye decreases. During this period, it is important to continue taking the medication recommended by the doctor and to have regular check-ups.
- Full recovery after corneal transplantation is usually completed between 12 and 18 months. During this time, the patient’s vision reaches the best level and other symptoms in the eye disappear completely.
Considerations After Cornea Transplantation
Things to be considered after cornea transplantation are as follows:
- It is important to protect the eye after surgery. It is necessary to wear appropriate glasses to protect the eye from impacts and injuries.
- Regular use of medications prescribed by the doctor reduces the risk of infection and inflammation and accelerates the healing process.
- Paying attention to eye hygiene after surgery reduces the risk of infection. It is important not to touch the eye with dirty hands and to be in a clean environment.
- Avoiding heavy activities and sports in the first weeks after surgery reduces the pressure on the eye and accelerates the healing process.
- Regular visits to the doctor after corneal transplantation helps to detect and treat possible complications early.
Vision after corneal transplantation is usually high and most patients have a better quality of vision after a successful surgery. The recovery process and considerations vary depending on the patient’s health and the type of surgery. During this process, it is important to follow the doctor’s recommendations and have regular check-ups.
Cornea Transplant Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and relatives of patients who want to come to Turkey are doing research on cornea transplantation treatment prices in Turkey. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage.Türkiye’de Klinefelter Sendromu Tedavi Fiyatları Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi
This post is also available in: Türkçe