Eye health and visual quality are important factors that directly affect quality of life. Today, contact lenses are frequently preferred as an alternative to spectacles. Contact lenses are optical devices made of a thin, transparent, and flexible material that corrects eye defects and clarifies vision. In this article we have written for you, we will try to answer all the curious questions such as what is a contact lens, what are its features and what are its advantages.
What Is Contact Lens?
Contact lenses are optical devices made of a thin, transparent, and flexible material that corrects eye defects and clarifies vision. It is used on the front surface of the eye, placed on the cornea. They are mainly used to correct eye defects such as myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism, and presbyopia. It is also possible to change eye color with colored contact lenses.
What Are Contact Lens Features?
The main features of contact lenses are as follows;
- Contact lenses are produced from soft or hard materials. Soft contact lenses are more comfortable and easy to adapt. Hard contact lenses are more durable and long-lasting.
- There are contact lenses with different usage periods such as daily, weekly, monthly and annual use.
- Oxygen permeability, which is important for eye health, determines the amount of oxygen delivered to the anterior surface of the eye. Higher oxygen permeability is better for eye health.
- The moisture content of contact lenses reduces the feeling of dryness in the eye and increases wearing comfort.
- There are colored and patterned contact lenses for aesthetic use.
What are the Advantages of Contact Lenses?
The advantages of contact lens use are as follows;
- Contact lenses offer a wider field of vision than glasses.
- It is an aesthetic alternative for those who do not like the use of glasses.
- Contact lenses eliminate the discomfort caused by glasses during sports and physical activities.
- It is not affected by weather conditions such as rain, fog, and evaporation.
- Especially in eye defects such as astigmatism, contact lenses provide a more natural vision than glasses.
Contact lenses offer an essential alternative in terms of eye health and vision quality. However, it is important to determine the correct lens type and duration of use by taking into account the recommendations of your ophthalmologist before use. It is also essential to pay attention to lens hygiene and have your eye health checked regularly.
For Which Purposes Are Contact Lenses Used?
Contact lenses are thin and transparent optical devices placed in the cornea layer of the eye, which are preferred in cases where glasses are not preferred or when the use of glasses is impractical. The purposes of use of contact lenses are as follows;
Correcting Vision; Contact lenses are used to correct eye defects such as myopia (short-sightedness), hypermetropia (farsightedness), astigmatism and presbyopia. In this way, users provide a clear and sharp vision.
Aesthetic and Cosmetic Purposes; Some users turn to contact lenses because they do not want to wear glasses or think that they are not suitable for their faces. Also, thanks to colored contact lenses, eye color can be changed and a different appearance can be achieved.
Therapeutic Purposes; Contact lenses are used in the treatment of some eye diseases and disorders. It especially helps to heal the damage on the corneal surface.
Sports and Active Life; Contact lenses are more useful in sports activities and active lifestyles where the use of glasses is difficult. In this way, users can move comfortably and freely.
What Are Contact Lens Types?
Contact lenses are divided into types according to the duration of use, material type and design. Contact lens types are as follows;
- Daily, Weekly and Monthly Use Lenses: These lenses, which vary according to the duration of use, can be used daily, weekly and monthly. While daily lenses are discarded every day, weekly and monthly lenses can be used for the specified period.
- Hard and Soft Lenses: Hard lenses are lenses with high gas permeability and can be used for a longer period of time. Soft lenses provide a more comfortable and faster fit but have a higher risk of retaining bacteria and dirt.
- Toric Lenses: Toric lenses used for astigmatism correction provide clear vision by adapting to the irregular corneal surface.
- Multifocal Lenses: Multifocal lenses used in the correction of presbyopia (age-related nearsightedness) provide clear vision at both near and far distances.
How to Use Contact Lens?
The use of contact lenses starts with choosing the right lens and paying attention to hygiene rules. Tips on the use of contact lenses are as follows;
Appropriate contact lens selection should be made in line with your ophthalmologist’s recommendation and prescription.
Cleaning and hygiene rules should be observed during the use and storage of lenses. Hands should be washed, and lenses should be kept with clean solutions and replaced regularly.
Lenses should be inserted into the cornea of the eye with careful and gentle movements. Similar care should be taken when removing the lens.
New contact lens users can increase the duration of lens use by starting with short periods of time to accustom their eyes to the adaptation process.
Eye health should be taken into consideration while using contact lenses, and a doctor should be consulted if problems such as redness, burning and itching occur in the eyes.
How to Choose Contact Lens?
Today, many people who do not want to wear glasses or who want to get rid of the discomfort of glasses prefer to use contact lenses. Contact lenses are thin and transparent discs placed in front of the eye and help to correct visual impairments. So, how to choose the right contact lens? Some important points you should pay attention to are as follows;
Firstly, you should consult an ophthalmologist for an eye examination and get your contact lens prescription. The prescription contains important information such as the shape, size and refractive power of the lenses.
Contact lenses are divided into different types in terms of wearing time and material. There are lenses for daily, weekly, monthly and annual wear. You can also choose between soft and hard lenses. You should choose the most suitable lens type according to your lifestyle and your ophthalmologist’s recommendation.
Contact lens wear carries some risks, such as eye infections and allergies. Therefore, you should consider your eye health when choosing lenses. Especially if you have dry eyes, you should choose lenses with moisturizing properties.
When choosing contact lenses, it is important to choose a reliable and quality brand. Take care to choose your lenses from brands recommended by your doctor or brands that have a good reputation in the market.
Contact lens prices vary from brand to brand and lens type. You can search the market to find an option that suits your budget. However, you should be careful not to turn to poor-quality lenses because of the low price.
Does Contact Lens Have Any Harm?
Contact lenses are a very safe and comfortable vision correction method when used correctly and selected according to eye health. However, in some cases, the use of contact lenses can be harmful. Possible damages to contact lenses can be explained as follows;
Contact lenses can cause eye infections. Not cleaning the lenses, using expired lenses, or sharing your lenses with others increases the risk of infection.
Some people may have an allergic reaction to contact lens materials. If you experience allergy symptoms, you should stop wearing contact lenses and contact your doctor.
Contact lenses can cause corneal damage due to friction and pressure on the cornea. This happens often, especially if you do not remove your lenses while sleeping.
Contact lens wear can cause dry eye problems by reducing the natural moisture of the eyes. You can alleviate this problem by using lenses and eye drops with moisturizing properties.
Eyes need oxygen to stay healthy. Some contact lenses can prevent the eyes from getting oxygen. This can lead to redness, irritation, and infections in the eyes.
The damage to contact lenses can be minimized with proper use and care. To protect your eye health, you should choose your lenses according to your doctor’s recommendations and have them checked regularly.
Contact Lens Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. Regarding Contact Lens Treatment Prices in Turkey, we can see that patients and their relatives who want to come to Turkey are doing research. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage.Türkiye’de Klinefelter Sendromu Tedavi Fiyatları Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi
This post is also available in: Türkçe