Procalcitonin (PCT) is a protein molecule that increases in cases of infection and inflammation in the body. It is used as an important marker especially in the diagnosis and follow-up of bacterial infections. PCT values play an important role in evaluating the infection status of patients and determining appropriate treatment methods. In this article we have written for you, we will try to give information about what PCT is, why and when to look at its value.
What Is PCT?
Procalcitonin is the precursor substance of a hormone called calcitonin and is normally found in the thyroid and parathyroid glands. However, when bacterial infections occur in the body, PCT levels begin to increase in other tissues. The increase in PCT is directly proportional to the severity and extent of the infection. Therefore, PCT values are considered an important indicator in the diagnosis and treatment of infection.
Why Is PCT Value Checked?
The main reason for checking the PCT value is to diagnose and monitor the treatment of bacterial infections. High PCT levels usually indicate the presence of bacterial infections, while low levels indicate viral infections or no infection. This information helps doctors to better understand the nature of the disease and the treatment process. In addition, PCT values are also used to assess the severity of the infection and the patient’s response to treatment.
When To Look At PCT Value?
The PCT value is regularly checked in cases of suspected bacterial infection and during the patient’s treatment process. PCT levels are considered as an important indicator especially in severe infections such as severe sepsis, meningitis, pneumonia and bacterial shock. During the treatment process, decreasing PCT levels indicate that the patient is recovering, while increasing levels indicate that the infection is progressing. Therefore, PCT values are important for both diagnosing the disease and monitoring the treatment process.
What Does PCT Elevation Mean?
PCT elevation means that the level of procalcitonin in the blood is higher than normal. Procalcitonin (PCT) is a type of protein that helps evaluate the response to infections in the body. Normally, PCT, which is low in the blood of a healthy individual, increases rapidly during bacterial infections. Therefore, elevated PCT is often considered an indicator of serious bacterial infections occurring in the body.
PCT elevation is a particularly important marker indicating the presence of the following conditions;
- Systemic bacterial infections,
- Severity of infection,
- Response to treatment,
What Is Done In PCT Elevation?
When PCT elevation is detected, doctors usually follow these steps;
- When PCT elevation is detected, doctors make a detailed evaluation, taking into account all symptoms and medical history of the patient. This helps to determine the cause and severity of the infection.
- In patients with elevated PCT, doctors usually perform additional diagnostic tests to determine the source and type of infection. These tests may include blood cultures, radiological imaging and other laboratory tests.
- Since PCT elevation indicates the presence of bacterial infection, doctors usually initiate an effective antibiotic treatment. During the treatment process, PCT levels are regularly monitored and the effectiveness of the treatment is evaluated.
- Patients with elevated PCT may need supportive therapies depending on the severity of the infection. These treatments may include fluid support, oxygen therapy and other measures to support organ function.
- The condition of patients with elevated PCT is monitored regularly during the course of treatment. PCT levels and other clinical signs help to assess the effectiveness of treatment and the patient’s recovery.
PCT elevation is an important marker indicating the presence of serious bacterial infections. In this case, doctors can improve the patient’s condition and prevent complications of the infection by creating an effective treatment plan.
Which Diseases Is The PCT Test Used To Diagnose?
The procalcitonin (PCT) test is a blood test used to measure the presence and severity of bacterial infections in the body. PCT levels can be elevated due to bacterial infections as well as some other conditions. The PCT test can be used to diagnose the following diseases;
- Bacterial infections,
In Which Diseases Is PCT Elevated?
PCT levels are elevated, especially due to bacterial infections. However, some other conditions and diseases can also cause PCT levels to increase. Diseases in which PCT levels are elevated include;
- Bacterial infections,
- Trauma and surgery,
- Malignant diseases,
The PCT test is an important tool, especially in the diagnosis and monitoring of bacterial infections. However, other conditions and diseases that cause elevated PCT levels should also be considered.
PCT Test Prices In Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and their relatives who want to come to Turkey are doing research on PCT Test Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be correct to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi