Hydrocephalus is a condition caused by the accumulation of fluid around the brain and spinal cord. This can lead to increased pressure inside the brain and various symptoms. The endoscopic method in the treatment of hydrocephalus is one of the most effective and safe options offered by modern medicine. In this article we have written for you, we will try to give information about Endoscopic Method in Hydrocephalus Treatment.
What is Hydrocephalus?
Hydrocephalus is a disorder that occurs as a result of the accumulation of fluid called cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) around the brain and spinal cord. This fluid accumulation causes the pressure inside the brain to increase and can damage the brain tissue. Hydrocephalus may be congenital or may occur later in life. If left untreated, it can lead to serious loss of brain function and even death.
What Causes Hydrocephalus?
Hydrocephalus is caused by disorders in the production, circulation or absorption of cerebrospinal fluid. These disorders are associated with a variety of factors such as congenital abnormalities, infections, trauma, tumours and brain haemorrhage. Hydrocephalus can also occur in the elderly due to conditions such as brain atrophy and hardening of the brain vessels.
What are the Symptoms of Hydrocephalus?
Symptoms of hydrocephalus may vary depending on age and severity of the condition. Symptoms of hydrocephalus in infants include abnormal growth of the head, excessive irritability, weak sucking and swallowing reflex, decreased muscle tone, and downward gaze of the eyes. In children and adults, symptoms such as headache, nausea, vomiting, balance and coordination problems, vision problems, fatigue, memory and concentration difficulties, urinary incontinence and personality changes may be observed.
Endoscopic hydrocephalus treatment is performed by entering the areas where cerebrospinal fluid accumulates with the help of a thin tube (endoscope) to drain the fluid. Since this method is a minimally invasive approach, the recovery process of patients is faster and the risk of complications is lower. The endoscopic method in the treatment of hydrocephalus is an effective and safe option for suitable patients.
What are Hydrocephalus Treatment Methods?
Hydrocephalus is a condition that leads to increased pressure in the brain and enlargement of the brain ventricles due to the accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). Hydrocephalus can be congenital or develop later. The methods used in the treatment of hydrocephalus vary depending on the underlying causes, age, and general health status of the patient. The main methods used in the treatment of hydrocephalus are as follows.
- Shunt Treatment,
- Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy (ETV),
Why should the endoscopic method be preferred?
There are many reasons why endoscopic methods are preferred in the treatment of hydrocephalus. We can list some of these reasons for you as follows:
- Since endoscopic methods are minimally invasive, the recovery process of patients is faster and the risk of complications is lower. In addition, surgeries performed with endoscopic methods result in less pain and shorter hospital stays.
- Shunt treatment is a method that requires lifelong shunt replacement and maintenance. Endoscopic methods such as endoscopic third ventriculostomy can improve the quality of life of patients by preventing shunt dependency.
- Surgeries performed with endoscopic methods result in less bleeding and infection risk. In addition, there is a lower need for reoperation compared to shunt treatment.
- Endoscopic surgeries are usually shorter and the duration of exposure to anesthesia is reduced.
- Since endoscopic surgeries result in smaller incisions and less tissue damage, postoperative scars are less prominent, and better cosmetic results are obtained.
Therefore, endoscopic methods should be preferred in the treatment of hydrocephalus as they provide faster recovery processes, less risk of complications, and better quality of life. However, since each patient’s condition is different, treatment options should be determined according to the doctor’s recommendation and the patient’s condition.
Hydrocephalus Treatment Prices by Endoscopic Method in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and relatives of patients who want to come to Turkey are doing research on hydrocephalus treatment prices by the endoscopic method in Turkey. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi