Cataract is an eye disease that affects vision. There are two types of cataracts, the first is congenital cataract that comes with birth, and the other is senile cataract that develops due to age.
- What are the Symptoms of Cataract?
- How is Cataract Surgery Performed?
- Cataract Surgery Price in Turkey
- What Causes Cataract?
- How long does cataract surgery last ?
- Problems After Cataract Surgery
- How is Lens Shift Diagnosed After Cataract Surgery?
- Risks of Cataract Surgery in the Elderly
- What Happens If I Don’t Have Cataract Surgery?
It is the turbidity that occurs in the lens part of the eye that does not contain vessels and nerves. Due to the formation of these blurs, the lens loses its transparent state. It usually has yellow or brown spots on it and affects a person’s vision. It can be seen in one or both eyes. If it occurs in both eyes, one eye is affected much more than the other.
The lens part, which is transparent in the eyes of healthy individuals, transmits light to the eye and helps the person’s vision to work smoothly. However, as a result of the formation of spots and turbidity in the eye with cataract, the lens cannot transmit the light clearly to the eye and vision problems begin to occur. If the progressive cataract is not treated, it begins to seriously affect the daily life of the person.
In the case of congenital cataracts with the birth of the person, if this clouding is located on the pupil, it is quickly treated by doctors. These diseases usually appear and manifest themselves with age. In order to treat this disease early and take it under control in a timely manner, patients in certain age groups should go to a doctor’s examination at regular intervals.
What are the Symptoms of Cataract?
The onset of age-related cataract disease may not show clear symptoms. However, the blurring that occurs in the lens part of the eye increases day by day and the person begins to notice this blurriness.
Usually the symptoms are as follows:
- The person’s vision is not clear
- blurred vision
- Smoky or hazy vision
- Colors appear paler
- Disturbance in seeing far and near
- The light disturbs and dazzles the eye
- Visual impairment more on sunny days than on other days
- A feeling of tiredness in the eyes of the person and headache along with it
- If the person wears glasses, frequent number change
- Being able to see up close more clearly without wearing glasses
- Symptoms such as a feeling of decreased vision at night occur
- Lens shift symptoms after cataract surgery
How is Cataract Surgery Performed?
Cataract is a disease that is possible and easy to treat. The surgery is completed quickly and the patient begins the recovery process. The surgery is usually performed while under the influence of local anesthesia. The cloudy lens is displaced using ultrasonic vibrations. For this, a 2-3 mm tunnel incision is made.
After the cleaning work is done, high quality lenses are placed in the eye and the patient is treated. After this operation, the person does not need to wear any glasses.
Cataract surgery takes approximately 30 minutes. The eye drops prescribed by the doctor are used for 3-4 weeks after the operation. After the operation, the necessary controls are made and the patient is discharged immediately. There is no need to stay in the hospital. If the complaint of cataracts is present in both eyes, the doctor performs the operations at regular intervals. Both eyes cannot be operated on the same day.
Cataract Surgery Price in Turkey
As in many other fields, Turkey is one of the most preferred countries in eye surgeries. Factors such as the experience of the doctors and the fully equipped hospitals give confidence to the patients in this process.
Another reason for preference is that the needs such as treatment, eating, drinking and sheltering are at affordable prices. Turkey offers quality health services to its foreign patients at an affordable price. Foreign patients who regain their health in the hands of experienced and empathetic doctors leave Turkey happily.
If you are going to have cataract surgery in Turkey, you can contact us for answers to all the questions you have in mind, extensive information about the surgery and detailed price information.
What Causes Cataract?
One of the most important human abilities is the ability to see. Seeing is one of the senses that makes life easier and, if not, affects one’s life deeply. Our eyes are perfect organs as of their creation. It contains a large amount of protein and water. With age, these proteins break down and cause clouding of the eye.
The main causes of age-related cataracts are as follows:
- If the person smokes
- Intense exposure of the person to sunlight
- Blows to the eye of the person
- Having diabetes
- If the person consumes a large amount of alcohol
- Having a history of cataracts in family or relative
- Having radiation therapy for a certain period of time
- Surgical eye operations that the person has had before
- Some drugs that trigger cataracts
- Conditions such as exposure to polluted air may be the cause of this disease
How long does cataract surgery last ?
With advanced technology and treatment methods, eye surgeries are now easier to complete. One of them is cataract surgery. At the end of this operation, which lasts approximately 30 minutes, it is aimed to create clarity in the person’s vision and to make his life easier.
Problems After Cataract Surgery
Some problems may occur after the surgery, but these are not things that cannot be fixed. For example, the feeling of pain and itching after surgery is quite normal.
It takes approximately 2 months for the person’s eye to fully heal. In places where there is too much light during the water period, vision problems may occur. It is very important to use all the medicines prescribed by the doctor on time and regularly. You can contact your doctor for additional problems you are experiencing.
How is Lens Shift Diagnosed After Cataract Surgery?
Cataract disease is a common eye disease in our age and successfully treated. The treatment methods and equipment used in these surgeries are state-of-the-art and continue to be developed to make people’s lives easier.
After the cataract surgery treatment, there may be a rare case of shifting in the lenses placed in place of the disintegrated lens of the eye. The symptoms of this are as follows.
- Blurring of the person’s vision and double vision.
- Symptoms such as noticing the inserted lens may occur.
Risks of Cataract Surgery in the Elderly
Each surgery has its own set of risks and complications. There may be some risks due to age in the surgery of this disease, which usually occurs in the elderly. We can list them as follows:
- Elderly people cannot lie on their back during surgery
- Damage to the cornea with the excess energy used during the treatment of hard cataract in the eye
- It is difficult to measure intraocular lenses in elderly people
- Bleeding in the eye
- Preference for surgeries performed with old-fashioned sutures
- There are risks such as the occurrence of complications due to insufficient growth of the pupil
What Happens If I Don’t Have Cataract Surgery?
Generally, there are people who are afraid of the idea of surgery and delay treatment. As a result of these delays, the cataract progresses and causes completely blurred vision. In advanced cataracts, surgery is difficult and complications increase.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi