Trigeminal neuralgia is a chronic nerve disorder that causes extreme pain in the face. This condition is caused by dysfunction of the nerve that controls the sensitivity of the face, called the trigeminal nerve. Trigeminal neuralgia is known for sudden and severe pain and is usually more common in older adults. In this article we have written for you, we will try to answer the questions about the symptoms, causes, and types of trigeminal neuralgia.
What Are The Symptoms Of Trigeminal Neuralgia?
The most prominent feature of trigeminal neuralgia is sudden and severe pain in the face. The pain is usually unilateral and concentrated in certain areas of the face such as the chin, lips, cheeks, and around the eyes. Attacks of pain can last from seconds to minutes and sometimes recur throughout the day. Triggers that cause pain may include:
- Chewing while eating,
- Don’t wash or touch your face,
- Tooth brushing,
- A slight wind or draft,
What Causes Trigeminal Neuralgia?
Although the exact cause of trigeminal neuralgia is not always known, it is usually associated with factors that affect the functioning of the trigeminal nerve. These factors may include;
- Vessels pressing on the nerve,
- Nerve damage or injury,
- Diseases affecting the nerves,
- such as multiple sclerosis,
- Tumors or lesions, In some cases, the cause cannot be determined (idiopathic trigeminal neuralgia),
What Are The Types Of Trigeminal Neuralgia?
Trigeminal neuralgia is divided into two main types; type 1 (TN1) and type 2 (TN2).
- Type 1 Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN1); TN1, also called classic trigeminal neuralgia, is characterized by sudden and severe pain attacks in the face. These attacks are usually short and occur due to a specific trigger. TN1 accounts for the majority of trigeminal neuralgia cases.
- Type 2 Trigeminal Neuralgia (TN2); TN2, also known as atypical trigeminal neuralgia, causes constant and less severe pain in the face. The pain in TN2 is usually burning or aching and may be accompanied by sudden and severe pain attacks, as in TN1.
Trigeminal neuralgia is a painful condition that significantly affects the quality of life. If you are experiencing these symptoms, it is important to consult a specialist to learn the correct diagnosis and treatment methods.
How Is Trigeminal Neuralgia Diagnosed?
Trigeminal neuralgia is diagnosed based on the patient’s symptoms and medical history. The stages of the trigeminal neuralgia diagnosis process are as follows;
- Medical History and Physical Examination,
- Neurological Examination,
- Imaging Tests,
- Electrodiagnostic Tests,
How Is Trigeminal Neuralgia Treated?
Trigeminal neuralgia treatment varies depending on the severity of the patient’s symptoms, age, and general health status. Treatment options include;
- Medication Therapy, s.
- Interventional Therapies,
- Surgical Treatment,
- Alternative and Complementary Therapies,
The diagnosis and treatment of trigeminal neuralgia depends on the patient’s symptoms, medical history, and general health status. The most appropriate treatment method is determined and applied among drug therapy, interventional treatments, surgery and alternative treatment option
Trigeminal Neuralgia Treatment Prices In Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. Regarding Trigeminal Neuralgia Treatment Prices in Turkey, we can see that patients and their relatives who want to come to Turkey are doing research. However, it would not be correct to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi