The spine is one of the main support structures of our body, providing mobility and protecting our central nervous system. Spinal health is of great importance for quality of life and general health. Therefore, it is important for individuals with spinal problems to follow the correct diagnosis and treatment processes. In this article we have written for you, we will give general information about spine surgery and discuss the symptoms and types of spine diseases.
- What Is Spine Surgery?
- What Are The Symptoms Of Spinal Diseases?
- What Are Spine Diseases?
- What Do Spine Surgeons Do?
- How Are Spinal Diseases Diagnosed?
- What Are The Innovations In Spine Surgery?
- Do Spine Surgeons Perform Pain Treatments?
- Is A Biopsy Necessary In Spine Surgery?
- When Should Emergency Operations Be Performed In Spine Surgery?
- Spine Surgery Treatment Prices in Turkey
What Is Spine Surgery?
Spine surgery is a branch of medicine in which surgical methods used for the diagnosis and treatment of spinal diseases are applied. Spine surgery aims to treat spinal problems caused by various reasons such as trauma, deformity, tumor, infection, and degenerative diseases. Doctors working in the field of spine surgery are neurosurgeons and orthopedic specialists. These surgical interventions are performed to improve the patient’s quality of life and to eliminate problems such as pain and limitation of movement.
What Are The Symptoms Of Spinal Diseases?
Symptoms of spinal diseases may vary depending on the type and severity of the disease. However, the symptoms commonly seen in spinal diseases are as follows;
- Back, waist, or neck pain,
- Limitation of movement,
- Muscle weakness and weakness,
- Gait and balance problems,
- Sleep disorders,
- Dizziness and headache,
- Numbness, tingling, and pain in the arms or legs due to nerve compression,
- Difficulty in controlling urine and feces,
What Are Spine Diseases?
Spinal diseases can be defined as diseases that occur for various reasons and affect spinal functions. Some of the spine diseases can be listed as follows;
- Scoliosis; is a deformity in which the spine curves sideways.
- Kyphosis is a deformity in which the spine curves forward.
- Disc herniation; It is a condition that puts pressure on the nerve roots due to damage to the spinal discs.
- Spinal stenosis; is a disease caused by compression of the nerves as a result of the narrowing of the spinal canal.
- Spondylolisthesis; It is a condition in which the spine bones slip relative to each other.
- Osteoporosis; It is a disease in which the risk of spinal fractures increases due to decreased bone density.
- Spinal tumors are benign or malignant tumors that occur in the spinal bones or spinal cord.
- Spinal infections; Bacterial, viral, or fungal infections affecting the spinal bones or spinal cord.
Diagnosis and treatment of spinal diseases depends on the type and severity of the disease. Spine surgery is an important treatment option to improve the quality of life of patients and maintain spinal health. It is important that individuals with spinal problems are evaluated by specialized doctors and the right treatment methods are applied.
What Do Spine Surgeons Do?
Spine surgeons are health professionals specialized in the diagnosis and treatment of spinal diseases and injuries. The spine is the main support structure of the body and contains important nerve structures such as the spinal cord. Spine surgeons are trained and experienced in understanding the various causes and treatment options for spinal problems.
Spine surgeons deal with diseases and conditions of the spine, such as;
- Disc herniation,
- Spinal stenosis,
- Spinal fractures,
- Spinal tumours,
Spine surgeons use conservative (non-surgical) and surgical methods to diagnose and treat these diseases and conditions. In cases requiring surgical intervention, spine surgeons perform various procedures such as minimally invasive surgical techniques, fusion surgery, and disc prostheses.
How Are Spinal Diseases Diagnosed?
Diagnosis of spine diseases is based on the patient’s complaints, physical examination, and necessary medical imaging methods. Firstly, the patient’s symptoms such as pain, numbness, weakness, and limitation of movement are evaluated. The spine surgeon then performs a physical examination, checking the patient’s posture, spinal mobility, muscle strength, and reflexes.
If necessary, the spine surgeon will perform a more detailed assessment using one or more of the following medical imaging modalities;
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI),
- Computed Tomography (CT),
- Electromyography (EMG),
These imaging methods and tests help the spine surgeon to determine the cause and severity of the disease and to evaluate appropriate treatment options.
What Are The Innovations In Spine Surgery?
There have been significant innovations and developments in spine surgery in recent years. These innovations improve the quality of life of patients by providing more effective and safer treatment methods. Some innovations in spine surgery are as follows;
- Minimally invasive surgery,
- Robotic surgery,
- Navigation systems,
- Artificial disc prostheses,
- Biological therapies,
These innovations and developments in spine surgery help patients recover faster and more effectively and improve their quality of life.
Do Spine Surgeons Perform Pain Treatments?
Spine surgeons are doctors specialized in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases related to the spine and nervous system. The main goal of spine surgeons is to improve the quality of life of patients and to relieve pain and discomfort related to the spine. For this reason, spine surgeons perform pain interventions and these interventions are performed by surgical and non-surgical methods.
Non-surgical pain management includes medication, physiotherapy and rehabilitation, injections, and other conservative methods. These methods help relieve the pain of patients and improve their quality of life without the need for surgical intervention.
Surgical pain management is performed in cases where spine surgery is required. Spine surgery includes a range of techniques and procedures used to treat pain and discomfort related to the spine. These techniques include spinal fusion, disc replacement, laminoplasty, and microdiscectomy. Surgical pain applications relieve patients’ pain and significantly improve their quality of life.
Is A Biopsy Necessary In Spine Surgery?
In spine surgery, a biopsy is a procedure in which a sample of spinal tissue is taken to make an accurate diagnosis of the disease and to determine the appropriate treatment method. Spinal biopsy plays an important role in the diagnosis of suspected tumors, infections, or other spinal diseases.
Whether a spine biopsy is necessary depends on the patient’s condition and symptoms. If a spinal disease cannot be diagnosed or if the diagnosis needs to be confirmed, the spine surgeon may perform a biopsy. The biopsy helps to make the correct diagnosis of the disease and ensures that patients are treated with the most appropriate treatment methods.
When Should Emergency Operations Be Performed In Spine Surgery?
Emergency operations in spine surgery should be performed in cases of life-threatening or potentially permanent damage to the spine and nervous system. Situations requiring emergency surgery can be listed as follows;
- Cauda Equina Syndrome,
- Spinal Masses and Tumours,
- Spinal Infections,
- Spinal Stenosis,
Spine Surgery Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and relatives of patients who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Spine Surgery Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be correct to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi
This post is also available in: Türkçe