Cancer is a deadly disease that affects millions of people worldwide. Early diagnosis and effective treatment methods are of great importance in the fight against cancer. oday, there are many methods used in cancer treatment and one of these methods is brachytherapy in the field of radiation oncology. Brachytherapy is a treatment method that has achieved significant success in cancer treatment and is becoming more and more common. In this article we have written for you, we will examine what brachytherapy is, its benefits and in which tumors it is applied.
What is Brachytherapy?
Brachytherapy is a method of delivering high doses of radiation to cancerous cells by placing radioactive materials directly into or near the tumor. With this method, radiation can be effectively applied to the tumor without damaging healthy tissues. Brachytherapy is applied in two main ways: Internal brachytherapy and external brachytherapy. In internal brachytherapy, the radioactive materials are placed directly into the tumor, while in external brachytherapy, the radioactive materials are positioned right next to the tumor.
What Are The Benefits Of Brachytherapy?
Brachytherapy has many benefits. Some of these benefits are as follows;
- The ability to apply high doses of radiation without damaging healthy tissues increases the effectiveness of the treatment and reduces side effects.
- The fact that it is a short-term and usually outpatient treatment helps patients maintain their quality of life.
- The fact that it can be combined with other cancer treatment methods (surgery, chemotherapy, radiotherapy) provides better results for patients.
- In certain tumors, it gives more effective and successful results than other treatment methods.
In Which Tumors Is Brachytherapy Applied?
Brachytherapy can be used in the treatment of various types of cancer. Some tumors in which brachytherapy is applied are as follows;
- Prostate cancer,
- Cervical cancer,
- Breast cancer,
- Skin cancer,
- Other types of cancer,
Brachytherapy is an important method in cancer treatment and provides effective results in many tumors. By having information about the benefits and application areas of brachytherapy, we can evaluate more effective and successful treatment options in the fight against cancer.
Brachytherapy in Head and Neck Cancers
Head and neck cancers are malignant tumors that can affect various structures in the region, especially the tongue, larynx, pharynx and oral cavity. Methods such as surgical intervention, radiotherapy and chemotherapy can be used in the treatment of these cancer types. Brachytherapy is an effective radiotherapy method applied in the treatment of head and neck cancers.
Brachytherapy is a treatment method in which radioactive materials are placed directly into cancer cells. In this way, high doses of radiation are given to cancerous cells, while the dose of radiation given to healthy tissues is minimized. Brachytherapy in head and neck cancers improves the quality of life of patients and helps to preserve functional structures.
Brachytherapy in head and neck cancers is usually used in early-stage tumors or as an adjunct to radiotherapy after surgical treatment. By applying high-dose radiation directly to the tumor, the growth and spread of cancer cells are prevented. In addition, brachytherapy prolongs patients’ life expectancy and reduces recurrence rates.
The advantages of using brachytherapy in head and neck cancers are briefly as follows;
- Shortening of treatment time,
- Shortening the treatment time,
- Less radiation to healthy tissues,
- Acceleration of the healing process,
- Less risk of side effects,
Benefits of HDR Brachytherapy
HDR (High Dose Rate) brachytherapy is a treatment method in which high doses of radiation are applied to cancer cells for short periods of time. The benefits of HDR brachytherapy are as follows;
- Shortening of treatment time,
- Protection of healthy tissues,
- More effective treatment,
- Fewer side effects,
How is Brachytherapy Applied?
Brachytherapy application varies depending on the type and stage of cancer and the general health status of the patient. The basic steps of brachytherapy application are brief as follows;
- Before brachytherapy treatment, the size, shape, and location of the patient’s tumor are determined. According to this information, the dose and application method of radiation is planned.
- Thin tubes (catheters) are inserted around or into the tumor to deliver the radioactive material to the tumor. This procedure is usually performed under local anesthesia.
- The radioactive material is delivered to the tumor through the catheters at the planned dose and time. This process takes only a few minutes with HDR brachytherapy, whereas it can take several days with low-dose-rate brachytherapy.
- After the radiation treatment is completed, the catheters are removed. Patients can usually return to their normal lives after a short time.
Brachytherapy is used as an effective method in the treatment of various types of cancer, such as head and neck cancers. HDR brachytherapy offers a faster and more effective treatment process, improving the quality of life of patients and making the treatment process more comfortable.
Who Performs Brachytherapy Application?
Brachytherapy is an effective and advanced radiation treatment method used in cancer treatment. This method aims to kill cancer cells by placing radioactive substances directly into or near the tumor. Brachytherapy achieves successful results in the treatment of various types of cancer, especially prostate, uterus, cervix, skin, breast, and head and neck cancer. So, who performs brachytherapy applications? Let’s find out together;
- Radiation Oncologist
- Physicist and Medical Physicist
- Radiology Technician
- Nurses and Other Health Personnel
During brachytherapy application, an anaesthesiologist is also involved to ensure that the patient can be treated comfortably and painlessly. The anaesthesiologist selects and applies the appropriate anesthesia method according to the patient’s condition.
The team performing brachytherapy consists of a radiation oncologist, physicist, medical physicist, radiology technician, nurse, anesthetist and other health personnel. This team evaluates the patient’s condition, and determines and applies the most appropriate treatment method, thus ensuring the death of cancer cells and healing the patient.
Brachytherapy Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and their relatives who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Brachytherapy Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi
This post is also available in: Türkçe