Chemoembolization is an effective and minimally invasive treatment method used to inhibit the growth and spread of cancerous cells. This method makes it difficult for cancerous cells to survive by stopping the blood flow that feeds the tumor, and also tries to kill cancer cells with chemotherapy drugs applied directly to the tumor. Chemoembolization is considered an important treatment option for some types of cancer, especially liver cancer. In this article we have written for you, we will try to answer the questions that are curious about what chemoembolization is, its types and which cancer types it is applied to.
- What Is Chemoembolisation?
- What Are the Types of Chemoembolization?
- For Which Cancer Types Is Chemoembolization Applied?
- How Is Chemoembolization Procedure Performed?
- What are the Side Effects of Chemoembolization Procedure?
- What are the Advantages of Chemoembolization Procedure?
- Chemoembolization Treatment Prices in Turkey
What Is Chemoembolisation?
Chemoembolization is a method used in cancer treatment and prevents the growth and spread of cancer cells by blocking the blood vessels that feed the tumor. During this procedure, it is aimed to kill cancer cells by applying chemotherapy drugs directly to the tumor. Chemoembolization is a minimally invasive procedure that is usually performed under local anesthesia and requires a short hospital stay.
What Are the Types of Chemoembolization?
Chemoembolization can be divided into different types according to the materials and techniques applied. The two main types of chemoembolization are:
Transarterial Chemoembolization (TACE); In this method, a thin tube called a catheter is inserted into the artery that carries blood to the tumor. Then, chemotherapy drugs are given to the tumor, and then the blood flow is stopped with a substance called embolizer. In this way, the nutrition of the tumor is prevented and the cancer cells die.
radioembolization; In this method, embolizing material is placed in the artery carrying blood to the tumor using radioactive microspheres. Radioactive microspheres deliver radiation directly to cancer cells, which inhibits the growth of the tumor, and at the same time stops the blood flow, preventing the tumor from feeding.
For Which Cancer Types Is Chemoembolization Applied?
Chemoembolization can be used in many types of cancer, especially liver cancer. Liver cancer is the most common type of cancer for which chemoembolization is applied, because tumors in the liver are often dependent on blood flow and can be effectively treated with this method. It can also be used in other types of cancer, such as chemoembolization, liver metastases, kidney cancer, neuroendocrine tumors and some soft tissue sarcomas. However, the feasibility of chemoembolization depends on factors such as the general health of the patient, the stage of the cancer, and the location of the tumor. Therefore, the doctor must decide whether chemoembolisation is an appropriate treatment option.
How Is Chemoembolization Procedure Performed?
The chemoembolization procedure is performed by a radiologist and usually requires an overnight stay in the hospital.
The process is carried out with the following steps;
- The patient is given local anesthesia and a thin tube (catheter) is inserted into a large artery in the groin area.
- The radiologist directs the catheter to the arteries that supply the tumor. At this stage, the procedure is followed using x-ray imaging and contrast material.
- When the artery feeding the tumor is reached, a mixture of cancer medicine and special particles called embolizers is injected. This mixture clogs the blood vessels that feed the tumor and causes the cancer cells to die.
- When the procedure is complete, the catheter is removed and pressure is applied to stop the patient’s bleeding.
- The patient usually stays in the hospital for one night and is discharged the next day.
What are the Side Effects of Chemoembolization Procedure?
Although chemoembolization is a minimally invasive method, it may cause some side effects. These side effects are:
It is a condition that manifests itself with symptoms such as fever, weakness, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain after the procedure. These symptoms usually resolve within a few days and can be controlled with medications.
Spread of cancer drug to healthy tissues may occur. This means that the cancer drug can reach healthy tissues other than the tumor, causing side effects. These side effects vary depending on the type of drug and the general health of the patient.
There is a risk of bleeding and infection during and after the procedure. These complications vary depending on the experience of the doctor performing the procedure and the general health of the patient.
As a result of the rapid death of tumor cells, toxic substances can accumulate in the body and lead to serious complications such as kidney failure.
What are the Advantages of Chemoembolization Procedure?
The chemoembolization procedure has some advantages over other methods used in the treatment of liver tumors. These advantages are:
- Chemoembolization is a less invasive method than open surgery. This means that patients have a faster recovery time and less risk of complications.
- Chemoembolization achieves high tumor control rates by cutting off the supply of the tumor and injecting the cancer drug directly into the tumor.
- Because the cancer drug is injected directly into the tumor during the chemoembolization process, the risk of the drug spreading to other parts of the body is lower. This means that patients experience fewer systemic side effects.
- Chemoembolization can be combined with other cancer treatments (radiotherapy, immunotherapy, etc.) and increase the effectiveness of these treatments.
- Chemoembolization can improve patients’ quality of life by stopping tumor growth and relieving symptoms.
Chemoembolization Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has succeeded in making its name known to the world with its investments and Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and their relatives who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Chemoembolisation Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be correct to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi