Along with the changing and developing technology, methods are being developed in the field of medicine that will facilitate human life and help many serious treatments. One of these methods is the Awake Brain Tumor Surgery (Awake Craniotomy) method, in which the patient is operated while awake during brain surgery. In this article we have written for you, we will examine what awake brain tumor surgery is, in which diseases it is used, and how patients are prepared for this surgery.
What is Awake Brain Tumor Surgery?
Awake brain tumor surgery is the surgical removal of brain tumors. This method is characterized by the fact that the patient remains awake and conscious during the operation. During the surgery, the patient’s feedback is needed to evaluate the patient’s brain functions and not to damage the healthy brain tissue around the tumor. Therefore, patients are kept awake during surgery and communicate with doctors. Awake craniotomy is a modern and advanced method in neurosurgery and plays an important role in the treatment of brain tumors.
In Which Diseases Is Awake Brain Tumor Surgery Used?
Awake brain tumor surgery is usually used in the following situations:
- Removal of tumors close to the speech, movement and sensory centers of the brain,
- Conditions in which the tumor must be removed safely while preserving neurological functions,
- Treatment of brain tumors caused by epilepsy,
- Conditions that require reoperation in recurrent or progressive cases of brain tumors,
How to Prepare a Patient for Awake Brain Tumor Surgery?
The preparation process for awake brain tumor surgery varies depending on the patient’s health status and the requirements of the surgery. In general, the pre-operative preparation process includes the following steps;
- Evaluating the general health status of the patient and determining whether he is suitable for surgery,
- Using imaging methods such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to determine the location and size of the brain tumor,
- Sharing the risks and expectations of the surgery with the patient and getting approval,
- Emphasizing the importance of communicating between the patient and the doctor during surgery,
- Providing psychological support to manage the patient’s anxiety before surgery,
Awake brain tumor surgery is an important method in the treatment of brain tumors and successful results are obtained when applied to the right patients. It is important to adopt a multidisciplinary approach in order to maintain the quality of life of patients and support their recovery in the pre- and post-operative processes.
How is Awake Brain Tumor Surgery Performed?
Awake brain tumor surgery is a method of neurosurgery performed in a period when the patient is conscious and able to communicate. This type of surgery is preferred in order to preserve brain functions, especially during the removal of tumors located near the language, movement and sensory centers. The steps of how the awake brain tumor surgery is performed are as follows;
- Before the operation, the general health status of the patient is evaluated and necessary examinations are made. In addition, the patient is given detailed information about the awake surgery process and psychological preparation is provided.
- Appropriate anesthesia and sedation methods are applied to ensure that the patient has a comfortable and painless process during the surgery. Usually, the patient is put to sleep at the beginning of the surgery and is awakened after the scalp is opened.
- In order to preserve brain functions, the surgeon makes brain mapping to determine the functions of the brain tissue around the tumor. In this process, the patient’s language, movement and sensory centers are stimulated and their reactions are observed.
- The surgeon begins to remove the tumor, preserving the functional areas determined as a result of brain mapping. In this process, it is checked whether there is a loss of function by being in constant communication with the patient.
- After the tumor is successfully removed, the patient’s condition is evaluated and the surgery is completed. The patient’s scalp is closed and awakened.
What Should Be Considered After Awake Brain Tumor Surgery?
There are some important points that patients should pay attention to after awake brain tumor surgery. These are as follows;
After the surgery, patients should stay in the hospital for a while and be under the control of a doctor. During the recovery process, it is important for the patient to rest, use appropriate medications and pay attention to nutrition.
In the postoperative period, patients should avoid excessive physical activities and do the exercises recommended by the doctor. It is also recommended that patients sleep with their heads elevated and avoid sudden head movements.
Since there is a risk of infection in the operation area, it is important for the patients to pay attention to the hygiene rules and to apply the cleaning and care procedures recommended by the doctor.
In the post-operative period, patients should go to doctor’s controls regularly and necessary tests should be done. Thus, possible complications can be detected in the early period and treatment can be started.
It is important to support patients psychologically after awake brain tumor surgery. It is recommended that patients work with a psychologist or therapist who can understand the process they are going through and help them.
Awake Brain Tumor Surgery Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has succeeded in making its name known to the world with its investments and Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and their relatives who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Awake Brain Tumor Surgery Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be correct to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi