Warfarin is a medicine known as an anticoagulant that prevents blood clotting. By preventing blood clots from forming and growing, this medicine reduces the risk of serious health problems such as heart attack, stroke, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. Warfarin is a medicine that is usually prescribed by doctors and patients should use regularly. In this article we have written for you, we will try to give information about the use and effects of warfarin.
How To Use Warfarin?
Warfarin is usually available in the form of a tablet taken orally and should be used at the dose recommended by your doctor. The frequency and duration of use of the drug may vary depending on the patient’s condition and the purpose of treatment. You should pay attention to the following points when using warfarin;
- Take the medicine at the same time every day so that the effectiveness of the medicine is maximized.
- If you forget your dose of warfarin, take it as soon as you remember. If the next dose is due soon, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal schedule. Never take two doses at the same time.
- Follow the diet and lifestyle changes recommended by your doctor. Pay particular attention to foods rich in vitamin K, because vitamin K plays an important role in blood clotting and can reduce the effect of warfarin.
- You may need to have regular blood tests while taking warfarin. These tests are important to check the effectiveness of the medicine and the appropriateness of the dose.
What Are The Effects Of Warfarin?
Due to its anti-clotting effect, warfarin may cause some side effects. These side effects may include;
- Warfarin may cause you to become more prone to bleeding. Therefore, cuts and injuries may bleed for longer and bruises may occur more easily. You may also experience more serious bleeding problems such as nosebleeds, bleeding gums and stomach bleeding.
- Headache, dizziness and weakness may occur while taking warfarin. If these symptoms become severe or persist, contact your doctor.
- Although allergic reactions to warfarin are rare, contact your doctor immediately if you experience symptoms such as skin rash, itching and difficulty breathing.
During warfarin use, you can reduce the risk of these side effects by contacting your doctor and using the medicine correctly. In addition, regular blood tests and doctor control are important to ensure the effectiveness and safety of the medicine.
What Are the Side Effects of Warfarin?
Warfarin is an anticoagulant medicine that prevents blood clotting by reducing the effectiveness of blood clotting factors. This medicine is used to treat and prevent blood clot-related conditions such as heart attack, stroke, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism. However, the use of warfarin has some side effects. Side effects of warfarin can be listed as follows;
- Allergic reactions,
- Bruising and swelling,
- Headache and dizziness,
- Nausea and vomiting,
- Liver damage,
- Hair loss,
What Are the Drugs Containing Warfarin?
Warfarin is a drug available on the market under various brand names. Some drugs containing warfarin are as follows;
Which Diseases Is Warfarin Used To Treat?
Warfarin is used in the treatment of various diseases associated with blood clotting. Some diseases in which warfarin use is common are as follows;
- Atrial fibrillation,
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT),
- Pulmonary embolism,
- Heart valve disease,
- Heart attack
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi