Liver cancer is a type of cancer that poses a great threat to human health and is common worldwide. The liver is one of the largest internal organs in our body and plays an important role in the digestive system and metabolism. Liver cancer occurs when abnormal cells proliferate uncontrollably in the cells of this vital organ and disrupt the function of healthy cells. In this article we have written for you, we will learn about the symptoms, causes and formation process of liver cancer.
What Are The Symptoms of Liver Cancer?
In the early stages of liver cancer, diagnosis can be difficult because it does not give symptoms. However, as the disease progresses, some symptoms begin to appear. These symptoms can be listed as follows;
- Swelling and pain in the abdomen,
- Rapid weight loss,
- Loss of appetite and feeling of satiety,
- nausea and vomiting
- Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes),
- Enlargement of the liver (hepatomegaly),
- Accumulation of fluid in the abdomen (ascites),
- Fever and fatigue,
- Impairment of liver function,
What Causes Liver Cancer?
Liver cancer usually occurs as a result of DNA damage to the cells of the liver. These DNA damages lead to the uncontrolled proliferation of cells and tumor formation. The following causes can be found among the causes of liver cancer;
- Hepatitis B and C virus infections,
- Cirrhosis of the liver caused by alcohol consumption,
- Fatty liver and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease,
- Diabetes and obesity,
- Consumption of carcinogenic substances such as aflatoxin,
- Familial liver diseases and genetic factors,
- Some metabolic diseases,
How Does Liver Cancer Develop?
Liver cancer usually starts in hepatocytes, the main cells of the liver, and this condition is called hepatocellular carcinoma. Liver cancer can progress through the following processes;
- DNA damage in liver cells: Liver cancer occurs as a result of damage to the DNA of the cells. These damages cause the cells to be unable to fulfill their normal functions and proliferate uncontrollably.
- Tumor formation: Damaged cells replace healthy cells and form tumors. While these tumors may initially be benign, over time they can become malignant and lead to cancer.
- Spread of cancer cells: Malignant tumors can metastasize to other parts of the liver and other organs of the body. This causes the cancer to progress and makes treatment more difficult.
Early diagnosis and effective treatment of liver cancer can significantly increase the life expectancy and quality of life of patients. Therefore, it is of great importance for individuals with risk factors to have regular check-ups and adopt healthy living habits.
What Are The Stages of Liver Cancer?
Liver cancer is a malignant tumor caused by uncontrolled proliferation and growth of liver cells. The stages of liver cancer are used to determine the degree of spread of the disease and treatment options. The stages of liver cancer are as follows;
Stage 1: At this stage, the cancer is found only in the liver and has not yet spread to other organs. The tumor size can be less than 2 cm and is usually located in a limited area. Surgical treatment or local treatments can be applied for stage 1 liver cancer.
Stage 2: In this stage, the cancer is still only found in the liver, but the tumour size may be larger than 2 cm. Surgical treatment, local treatments, or targeted therapies can be applied for stage 2 liver cancer.
Stage 3: Stage 3 liver cancer can be divided into the following three subcategories:
3A: In this stage, the cancer is located in the liver as multiple tumors and at least one tumor is larger than 5 cm.
3B: At this stage, the cancer has spread to the main portal vein or hepatic veins of the liver.
3C: In this stage, cancer has spread outside the liver and spread to neighboring organs.
For stage 3 liver cancer, surgical treatment, local treatments, targeted therapies or chemotherapy can be applied.
Stage 4: In this stage, the cancer has spread outside the liver and has spread to organs and lymph nodes in other parts of the body. For stage 4 liver cancer, targeted therapies, chemotherapy or palliative care may be used.
How Should Patients with Liver Cancer Eat?
The nutrition of patients with liver cancer should be aimed at slowing the progression of the disease, supporting the treatment process and improving the quality of life. Here are the nutritional recommendations that patients with liver cancer should pay attention to. However, it will be useful to consult your doctor first.
- Consume protein-rich foods,
- Ensure a balanced carbohydrate intake,
- Consume healthy fats,
- Reduce salt intake,
- Stay away from alcohol,
- Don’t forget to drink water,
How Is Liver Cancer Diagnosed?
Liver cancer can be diagnosed using the following methods;
- Physical examination,
- Blood tests
- Imaging tests,
Once diagnosed, the stage of the disease is determined and appropriate treatment options are evaluated.
Liver Cancer Treatment: Options and Methods
Liver cancer is a malignant tumor that starts in liver cells and can multiply and spread to other organs. The treatment of liver cancer varies depending on factors such as the general health of the patient, the stage, and the type of cancer.
- Surgical Treatment,
- Local Treatments,
- Radiation Therapy,
- Targeted Therapies,
There are various options and methods available for the treatment of liver cancer. The treatment plan is determined depending on the patient’s condition and the stage of the cancer. First of all, early diagnosis and the right choice of treatment can increase the life expectancy and quality of life of patients.
Liver Cancer Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and relatives of patients who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Liver Cancer Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi
This post is also available in: Türkçe