Upper urinary tract cancer is malignant tumors that occur in the kidneys and ureters located in the upper part of the urinary system. This type of cancer affects an important part of the system that allows urine to be expelled from the body. Upper urinary tract cancer, although less common, can cause serious health problems and can be life-threatening if not detected and treated early. In this article we have written for you, upper urinary tract cancer and its types and the causes of this type of cancer will be discussed.
- What is Upper Urinary Tract Cancer?
- What is Urothelial Cancer?
- What Are The Causes of Upper Urinary Tract Cancer?
- What Are the Symptoms of Upper Urinary Tract Cancer?
- How is Upper Urinary Tract Cancer Diagnosed?
- What Are the Upper Urinary Tract Cancer Treatment Methods?
- Upper Urinary Tract Cancer Treatment Prices in Turkey
What is Upper Urinary Tract Cancer?
Kidneys are organs that produce urine by filtering excess fluid and waste materials from the body. The ureters are thin tubes that carry urine from the kidneys to the bladder. Upper urinary tract cancer occurs when the cells of these organs multiply uncontrollably and form abnormal structures. This type of cancer usually occurs in adults and is more common in men than women.
What is Urothelial Cancer?
Urothelial cancer is the most common type of upper urinary tract cancer and begins in the urothelial cells that line the lining of the urinary tract system. This type of cancer usually occurs in the renal pelvis and ureters, which are the collecting system of the kidneys. Urothelial cancer can also occur in the urinary bladder, in which case it is called bladder cancer. Urothelial cancer accounts for the majority of urinary system cancers and is curable if detected early.
What Are The Causes of Upper Urinary Tract Cancer?
Although the exact cause of upper urinary tract cancer is unknown, certain risk factors may contribute to the development of this type of cancer. These risk factors are as follows;
- Smoking significantly increases the risk of developing upper urinary tract cancer. The chemicals in cigarette smoke can damage the upper urinary tract and cause cancer development when excreted in the urine.
- Exposure to certain chemicals at work or in the environment can increase the risk of upper urinary tract cancer. Especially the chemicals used in the production of paints, plastics and rubber increase this risk.
- People with a family history of upper urinary tract cancer are at higher risk of developing this type of cancer.
- Kidney diseases and kidney stones can lead to the development of cancer by causing constant irritation and damage to the upper urinary tract.
- Upper urinary tract cancer is usually seen in people aged 60 and over, and the risk increases with age.
By knowing about upper urinary tract cancer and urothelial cancer, it is important to raise awareness for the early diagnosis and treatment of these types of cancer. It is possible to reduce risk factors and take precautions against upper urinary tract cancer with regular health checks.
What Are the Symptoms of Upper Urinary Tract Cancer?
Symptoms of upper urinary tract cancer often go unnoticed in the early stages and become more pronounced as the disease progresses. The most common symptoms of upper urinary tract cancer are as follows:
- Hematuria (Blood in Urine),
- Urinary Tract Infections,
- Weight Loss and Anorexia,
- Fatigue and Weakness,
How is Upper Urinary Tract Cancer Diagnosed?
For the diagnosis of upper urinary tract cancer, doctors listen to patients’ complaints and perform a physical examination. Then, the following diagnostic methods can be used for suspicious situations;
- Urine Tests,
- Imaging Tests,
What Are the Upper Urinary Tract Cancer Treatment Methods?
Treatment for upper urinary tract cancer varies depending on the stage of the cancer, general health and age of the patient. The main treatment methods are:
Surgical removal of cancerous areas and surrounding tissues is the main method of treatment for upper urinary tract cancer. In cancers of the renal pelvis and ureter, all or part of the kidney is usually removed.
For early stage upper urinary tract cancer, endoscopic treatments such as removal or burning of cancerous tissue using the ureteroscope can be applied.
Drug treatment is applied to prevent the growth and spread of cancer cells. Chemotherapy can be used before or after surgery.
Radiotherapy, which aims to kill cancer cells using high-energy rays, can be used as a supportive method in the treatment of upper urinary tract cancer.
Immunotherapy, which strengthens the immune system to fight cancer cells, can be used in the treatment of advanced upper urinary tract cancer.
Upper Urinary Tract Cancer Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has succeeded in making its name known to the world with its investments and Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and relatives of patients who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Upper Urinary Tract Cancer Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be correct to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi