Penile prostheses are medical products developed for men with sexual dysfunction. These products, which aim to improve the quality of life of men who have erectile dysfunction, are considered to be a highly effective and reliable treatment method today. urological penile prostheses and how to prepare for the surgery process. The use of penile prostheses positively affects sexual life and increases the happiness and quality of life of couples. In this article we have written for you, we will try to give information about what penile prostheses are, types of
- What Is Penile Prosthesis?
- What Are The Types of Urological Penile Prosthesis?
- How To Prepare for Urological Penile Prosthesis Surgery?
- How Is Urological Penile Prosthesis Surgery Performed?
- What Can I Experience After Urological Penile Prosthesis Surgery?
- Who Is Not Suitable For Urological Penile Prosthesis?
- Is Urological Penile Prosthesis Implantation Risky?
- What Are The Advantages of Urological Penile Prosthesis?
- Is Urological Penile Prosthesis Visible from the Outside?
- Penile Prosthesis Treatment Prices in Turkey
What Is Penile Prosthesis?
Penile prosthesis is a medical device placed in the penis of men with erectile dysfunction. These devices aim to harden the penis and achieve an erection during sexual intercourse. Penile prostheses are generally recommended for patients who do not respond to other treatment methods or who cannot use these methods. Penile prosthesis surgery is performed by experienced urologists and the vast majority of patients achieve satisfactory results after surgery.
What Are The Types of Urological Penile Prosthesis?
Urological penile prostheses are generally divided into two main categories; Semi-rigid (malleable) prostheses and inflatable prostheses.
Semi-rigid (malleable) prostheses; Such prostheses have a continuous rigid structure and provide the necessary rigidity during sexual intercourse. Since semi-rigid prostheses are easier to use and maintain, they are a suitable option especially for elderly patients and those with low manual dexterity. However, they may be less aesthetically satisfying due to the continuous rigid structure.
Inflatable prostheses; These types of prostheses work with cylinders containing liquid and a pumping mechanism. The liquid is transferred to the cylinders by means of the pump placed on the penis before sexual intercourse and the penis hardens. After intercourse, the liquid is withdrawn by using the pump again and the penis returns to its original state. These prostheses are aesthetically more satisfying as they provide a more natural look and feel. However, they are more complex to use and maintain and are more costly.
How To Prepare for Urological Penile Prosthesis Surgery?
When preparing for penile prosthesis surgery, the patient’s health status and suitability for surgery are first evaluated. In this process, important information such as past surgeries, medications and allergies are collected. In addition, blood tests, heart and lung function tests may be performed to evaluate the general health status of the patient.
Before the operation, patients should stop smoking and drinking alcohol, stop blood thinners and take other precautions recommended by the doctor. On the day of the operation, it is important that the patient comes on an empty stomach and prepares cleanly. After penile prosthesis surgery, patients should avoid sexual intercourse for the period recommended by the doctor and should perform appropriate care and controls.
How Is Urological Penile Prosthesis Surgery Performed?
Urological penile prosthesis surgery is an operation performed to improve the quality of life and sexual performance of men with sexual dysfunction. This surgery is especially suitable for patients who do not respond to other treatment methods such as medication, vacuum devices and injections and have difficulty achieving an erection.
Penile prosthesis surgery is performed under general anaesthesia and takes approximately 1 to 2 hours. The operation process is as follows;
- The general health condition of the patient is evaluated and necessary tests are performed before surgery. It is also important that the patient is informed about the expectations and possible outcomes of the surgery.
- Penile prostheses can be of different types, including semi-rigid (malleable), two-piece inflatable and three-piece inflatable. The patient and the doctor choose the most appropriate type of prosthesis according to the patient’s lifestyle, expectations and health status.
- In penile prosthesis surgery, a prosthesis of the appropriate size is inserted into the spongy tissue (corpora cavernosa) inside the penis. During this procedure, both sides of the prosthesis are inserted into the penis and the prosthesis is adjusted to mimic the natural erection mechanism of the penis.
- After the operation, the scars on the penis are closed and necessary dressings are applied. It is usually sufficient for the patient to stay in hospital for one day.
What Can I Experience After Urological Penile Prosthesis Surgery?
The conditions that patients may experience after penile prosthesis surgery are as follows;
- After the surgery, the patient may experience swelling, redness and pain in the penis area. These symptoms usually subside within a few days. The patient should not have sexual intercourse for 4-6 weeks after surgery.
- Complications such as infection, bleeding, malfunction of the prosthesis mechanism and scarring may occur in penile prosthesis surgery. These conditions can be controlled with the treatment methods recommended by the doctor.
- After the surgery, the sexual life of the patients usually improves and a natural erection can be achieved with the use of the prosthesis. However, proper use and care of the prosthesis is important.
Who Is Not Suitable For Urological Penile Prosthesis?
Penile prostheses may not be suitable for everyone. The following situations are situations where penile prosthesis surgery is not suitable;
- Active infections,
- Bleeding disorders,
- Serious health problems,
- Psychological problems,
Is Urological Penile Prosthesis Implantation Risky?
As with any surgical procedure, penile prosthesis implantation has some risks. However, these risks are very low in the hands of an experienced surgeon with proper assessment.
The potential risks of penile prosthesis implantation are;
- Bleeding and bruising,
- Mechanical problems of prosthesis,
- Change in penis size,
What Are The Advantages of Urological Penile Prosthesis?
Urological penile prosthesis offers a highly effective treatment method for men with erectile dysfunction. The advantages of penile prostheses are as follows;
Penile prosthesis have a higher success rate than other treatment methods. In the hands of an accurate evaluation and an experienced surgeon, the success rate with penile prosthesis varies between 90-95%.
Penile prosthesis allows the patient to control the duration and hardness of the erection. In this way, patients can continue their sexual life more comfortably.
New generation penile prosthesis provide a natural look and feel. In this way, patients can be more confident in their sexual life.
Penile prosthesis offers a permanent solution for erectile dysfunction. There is no need for continuous use of medications or other treatment methods.
Is Urological Penile Prosthesis Visible from the Outside?
Urological penile prosthesis are not visible from the outside with a correct surgical procedure and appropriate prosthesis selection. New generation penile prosthesis are designed to provide a natural look and feel. Since the prostheses are placed inside the penis, it is very difficult to be noticed from the outside.
However, in some cases, especially when the pump of the prosthesis is placed in the scrotum (scrotum), it can be felt during manual examination. This should not cause discomfort in the sexual life of the patients, because the use and appearance of the prosthesis is natural. It is also important that the partners understand this situation.
Penile Prosthesis Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and their relatives who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Penile Prosthesis Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be correct to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi