Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) is a rare disease of genetic origin that occurs mainly in people living in Mediterranean countries. This disease causes recurrent fever attacks and severe pain caused by inflamed tissues and organs.
- What is Familial Mediterranean Fever Disease (FMF)?
- What are the symptoms of familial Mediterranean fever?
- What Causes Familial Mediterranean Fever?
- How is Familial Mediterranean Fever Diagnosed?
- How is familial Mediterranean fever treated?
- Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) Treatment Prices in Turkey
Although FMF usually begins in childhood, the quality of life of patients can be significantly improved with early diagnosis and appropriate treatment. In this article we have written for you, we will briefly give information about the definition, symptoms, and causes of Familial Mediterranean Fever.
What is Familial Mediterranean Fever Disease (FMF)?
Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) is a genetic disease inherited in an autosomal recessive manner. This condition causes abnormal function of pyrin, a protein that regulates the body’s response to inflammation and fever. The missing or abnormal function of pyrin causes the body to overreact to inflammatory processes and leads to FMF attacks. The disease is particularly common in people living in Turkey, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Israel, and Arab countries.
What are the symptoms of familial Mediterranean fever?
Symptoms of Familial Mediterranean Fever disease are usually sudden onset and occur in the form of attacks. These symptoms are briefly as follows;
- High fever
- Severe abdominal pain,
- Chest pain
- Joint pains,
FMF attacks usually last for a few hours to a few days and then the symptoms may disappear completely.
What Causes Familial Mediterranean Fever?
Familial Mediterranean Fever is caused by mutations of a gene called MEFV. This gene is responsible for encoding a protein called pyrin. Pyrin regulates the body’s response to inflammation and fever. Mutations in the MEFV gene cause pyrin to function abnormally and cause the body to overreact to inflammatory processes. This leads to the occurrence of FMF attacks.
For FMF to occur, both parents must pass on the mutated MEFV gene to the child. If only one parent carries the mutation, the child may be a carrier of the disease, but symptoms of the disease usually do not appear.
How is Familial Mediterranean Fever Diagnosed?
Familial Mediterranean fever (FMF) is a genetic disease that usually occurs in people living in the Mediterranean region. This disease manifests itself with symptoms such as fever and abdominal pain and progresses in the form of recurrent attacks. Familial Mediterranean Fever can be diagnosed based on the patient’s symptoms, family history and genetic testing.
Below, we have listed the steps followed in the diagnosis process of Familial Mediterranean Fever;
- Firstly, the doctor will assess the symptoms experienced by the patient. Symptoms specific to AAA are:
- Recurrent high fever
- Abdominal pain and bloating
- Chest pain
- Joint pain and swelling
- Red rashes on the legs
- As Familial Mediterranean Fever is a genetic disease, the doctor will examine the patient’s family history. If there are family members who have been diagnosed with FMF, the patient is more likely to have the disease.
- The doctor will perform a physical examination of the patient and investigate the causes of abdominal pain, swelling, and other symptoms.
- Blood and urine samples are taken to check for the presence of infection or other diseases.
- Genetic tests are performed for the definitive diagnosis of Familial Mediterranean Fever. These tests look for mutations in the patient’s DNA that cause FMF. Genetic tests play an important role in the diagnosis of the disease and help determine the treatment plan.
How is familial Mediterranean fever treated?
Although there is no definitive treatment for Familial Mediterranean Fever, various treatment methods are applied to control the symptoms of the disease and improve the quality of life. The methods used in the treatment of AAA disease can be briefly listed as follows;
- Drug treatment
- Painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs,
- Lifestyle changes,
- Track and trace,
The diagnosis and treatment of Familial Mediterranean Fever is based on the symptoms experienced by the patient, family history and genetic tests. During the treatment process, the symptoms of the disease are kept under control with medication and lifestyle changes. Regular medical check-ups and compliance with the treatment will help patients to improve their quality of life.
Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and relatives of patients who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Familial Mediterranean Fever (FMF) Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi