Cancer is a serious health problem that affects the lives of millions of people worldwide. This disease, which is characterized by the uncontrolled growth and spread of cancer cells to other parts of the body, can be controlled with early diagnosis and effective treatment methods. Medical oncology, one of the methods used in cancer treatment, works to stop the growth and spread of cancer cells with drug treatments such as chemotherapy. In this article we have written for you, we will make a general introduction about chemotherapy and try to find answers to the questions about the types and applications of chemotherapy.
What Is Chemotheraphy?
Chemotherapy is a drug treatment used to prevent the growth and spread of cancer cells. Chemotherapy drugs, which act by killing cancer cells or stopping their growth, can also damage healthy cells. However, since healthy cells have a higher self-renewal capacity, the side effects of chemotherapy decrease over time. Chemotherapy can be used alone or in combination with other cancer treatment methods such as surgery and radiotherapy.
What Are The Types Of Chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy drugs can be divided into various categories according to their mechanism of action and the types of cancer they are used for. Chemotherapy types can be listed as follows;
- Alkylating agents are drugs that stop the growth of cancer cells by disrupting the structure of DNA. It is especially used in bone marrow and lymphoma cancers.
- Antimetabolites are drugs that stop the growth of cancer cells by inhibiting DNA and RNA synthesis. They are used in breast, lung, and colorectal cancers.
- Antitumor antibiotics are drugs that inhibit the growth of cancer cells by interacting with the DNA of cells. Used in testicular, ovarian and stomach cancers.
- Mitotic inhibitors are drugs that stop the growth of cancer cells by preventing cell division. Used in breast, lung and lymphoma cancers.
- Topoisomerase inhibitors are drugs that stop the growth of cancer cells by preventing DNA from working properly during cell division. They are used in lung, ovarian and stomach cancers.
How Is Chemotherapy Administered?
Chemotherapy may vary depending on the type of drug, the patient’s health condition and the type of cancer. Chemotherapy drugs can be given in the following ways;
- It can be given by mouth (oral). Chemotherapy drugs taken in tablet or capsule form are absorbed through the digestive system and enter the bloodstream.
- Chemotherapy drugs can be injected intramuscularly, under the skin or into a vein.
- By being given into a vein, the drugs enter the bloodstream and can be administered continuously.
- The drugs are injected into the spinal fluid and act on cancer cells around the brain and spinal cord.
- Drugs are injected into the abdominal cavity and act on cancer cells in the abdomen.
Chemotherapy is usually given in cycles. A cycle consists of days on which the drugs are given, followed by a period of days without the drugs. This allows time for the cancer cells to be killed and healthy cells to grow again. The duration of chemotherapy and the number of cycles is determined by the type of cancer, the effectiveness of the drugs and the patient’s health condition.
What Are The Side Effects Of Chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy is a drug treatment used to stop or slow the growth and proliferation of cancer cells. However, this treatment can damage healthy cells as well as cancer cells and this can lead to various side effects. Chemotherapy side effects may vary depending on the type of drugs used, the dose, and the duration of treatment. Some side effects that may occur during chemotherapy can be listed as follows;
- Stomach and intestinal problems,
- Mouth and throat problems,
- Hair loss,
- Skin and nail problems,
- Decrease in blood cells,
- Nerve and muscle problems,
How Should Nutrition Be During Chemotherapy?
A healthy and balanced diet during chemotherapy helps patients to increase their energy levels, cope with side effects and strengthen their immune system. Nutrition recommendations that should be considered during chemotherapy can be briefly explained as follows;
Consuming enough protein during chemotherapy helps cell renewal and strengthens the immune system. Protein-rich foods such as meat, fish, dairy products, eggs, and legumes should be consumed.
Consumption of fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals supports the immune system and increases the energy levels of patients.
Adequate fluid consumption during chemotherapy helps the body eliminate toxins and alleviate side effects. Healthy drinks such as water, herbal teas, and compotes should be preferred.
Fiber-rich foods should be consumed to prevent digestive problems such as constipation. Fiber-rich foods such as whole wheat bread, wholemeal pasta, brown rice, and vegetables can be preferred.
Since the immune system weakens during chemotherapy, it is important to pay attention to food hygiene. Attention should be paid to the cleanliness of food, storage conditions and cooking methods.
What Should Patients Receiving Chemotherapy Pay Attention To?
Chemotherapy is a treatment method to prevent the growth and proliferation of cancerous cells. However, this treatment can also damage healthy cells and affect the quality of life of patients. There are some important points that patients receiving chemotherapy should pay attention to in order to lead a more comfortable and healthy life during the treatment process.
The immune systems of patients receiving chemotherapy may weaken and their appetite may decrease. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to a balanced and healthy diet. Care should be taken to consume fresh vegetables and fruits, whole grains, low-fat proteins and healthy fats. It is also important to drink enough water and avoid alcohol, caffeine, and refined sugars.
Chemotherapy can weaken the immune system, making patients more susceptible to infections. Therefore, it is vital to observe hygiene rules and wash hands frequently. It is also important to avoid crowded environments and people with a high risk of infection.
Patients receiving chemotherapy may have low energy levels and may find it difficult to move around. However, regular exercise can increase energy levels and improve quality of life. It is important for patients to determine a suitable exercise program for themselves in consultation with their doctor and to follow this program regularly.
The chemotherapy process can be a challenging time for patients and they may need emotional support. Talking to family and friends, joining support groups, or seeing a therapist can provide emotional relief.
Chemotherapy can have many side effects, but most of these are temporary and resolve after treatment. To cope with side effects, keep in touch with your doctor and use the medicines and treatment methods recommended to you. Also, pay attention to your sleep patterns and learn relaxation techniques to cope with stress.
During chemotherapy, it is important to attend regular check-ups and comply with the treatment. Your doctor will assess the effectiveness of the treatment and make any necessary changes. Also, inform your doctor about any changes and possible complications during and after treatment.
There are important points that patients receiving chemotherapy should pay attention to in order to improve their quality of life and get through the treatment process more comfortably. By paying attention to these points, a healthier life can be maintained both physically and emotionally.
Chemotherapy Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and their relatives who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Chemotherapy Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi
This post is also available in: Türkçe