Cancer and sexual health are two important aspects of human life and are interconnected. Sexual health refers to the state of having a physically, emotionally, mentally and socially healthy sexual life, while cancer is a disease caused by the uncontrolled growth of cells and their spread to various parts of the body. Individuals undergoing cancer treatment or living with cancer are likely to experience sexual health problems. In this article we have written for you, we will explain the concepts of sexual health and cancer and try to give information about the effects of cancer on sexuality.
- What Is Sexual Health?
- What Is Cancer?
- Does Cancer Affect Sexuality?
- Can I Have Sexual Intercourse During Cancer Treatment?
- Can a Person Receiving Chemotherapy Have Sexual Intercourse?
- Is Cancer Transmitted Through Sexual Relationships?
- Is Cancer an Obstacle to Marriage?
- Cancer and Sexual Health Treatment Prices in Turkey
What Is Sexual Health?
Sexual health refers to the state of being physically, emotionally, mentally and socially healthy and harmonious regarding the sexual life of the individual. Sexual health includes the ability to enjoy sexual intercourse, to lead a healthy and safe sexual life, to communicate sexually and the freedom to choose a sexual partner. It also includes the ability to protect against sexually transmitted infections and unwanted pregnancies and to cope with sexual dysfunctions.
What Is Cancer?
Cancer is a disease caused by the uncontrolled growth of cells and their spread to various parts of the body. Cancer is initiated by genetic mutations and environmental factors and disrupts the normal growth and death processes of cells. This leads to excessive proliferation of cells and the formation of masses called tumors. Cancerous cells can spread to other parts of the body through the blood and lymph systems and form new tumors through a process called metastasis.
Does Cancer Affect Sexuality?
Cancer and cancer treatment can negatively affect an individual’s sexual health and sexual life. Physical and emotional changes during and after cancer treatment can lead to problems such as decreased sexual desire, sexual dysfunctions, and pain during sexual intercourse. Depending on the type of cancer, the treatment method, and the general health status of the individual, these problems may be temporary or permanent.
In individuals undergoing cancer treatment, factors such as hormone imbalances, fatigue, body image concerns, and depression can affect sexual health. In addition, cancer treatments such as surgery, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy can cause damage or loss of function in the genitals. Therefore, it is important that individuals undergoing cancer treatment or living with cancer are aware of sexual health issues and receive support through open communication with their doctors.
Can I Have Sexual Intercourse During Cancer Treatment?
Whether or not to have sexual intercourse during cancer treatment depends on factors such as the general health status of the patient, and the type and process of treatment. There may be some effects on the sexual life of patients undergoing cancer treatment. In particular, treatments such as radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and surgical interventions can affect the sexual functions and desires of patients.
It is important that the patient communicates with his/her doctor about whether or not to have sexual intercourse during treatment. The doctor will make the best decision about whether to have sexual intercourse, taking into account the general health status of the patient and the treatment process. In addition, there are some points that patients should pay attention to when having sexual intercourse during cancer treatment. They can be briefly explained as follows;
- The immune systems of patients undergoing cancer treatment may weaken. Therefore, the risk of infection during sexual intercourse increases. It is important to use condoms to reduce this risk.
- Patients should have sexual intercourse taking into account the pain and discomfort they experience during the treatment process. If sexual intercourse becomes difficult due to pain or discomfort, information about alternative methods can be obtained by talking to the doctor.
- When having sexual intercourse during cancer treatment, it is important that patients communicate openly with their partners. Emotional and physical changes experienced during this process may affect the quality of sexual intercourse.
Can a Person Receiving Chemotherapy Have Sexual Intercourse?
Chemotherapy is a treatment method using drugs that prevent the growth and proliferation of cancer cells. Whether patients receiving chemotherapy can have sexual intercourse depends on the general health status of the patient and the treatment process.
When having sexual intercourse during chemotherapy treatment, there are some points that patients should pay attention to. They can be briefly explained as follows;
- Chemotherapy drugs can pass to the partner through body fluids during sexual intercourse. Therefore, it is important to use a condom.
- Chemotherapy can reduce patients’ energy levels and decrease their sexual desire. In this case, patients should communicate with their partners and adjust the frequency and duration of sexual intercourse.
- Patients receiving chemotherapy may have a weakened immune system and an increased risk of infection. Therefore, it is important to pay attention to hygiene rules during sexual intercourse.
Is Cancer Transmitted Through Sexual Relationships?
Cancer is not a disease transmitted through sexual intercourse. Cancer is a disease caused by uncontrolled growth and proliferation of cells. Factors such as genetic factors, lifestyle, environmental factors and some viruses play a role in the formation of cancer.
However, some viruses can be sexually transmitted and can cause cancer. For example, human papillomavirus (HPV) is a sexually transmitted virus and can cause cancer types such as cervical cancer, anal cancer, penile cancer and head and neck cancers. Therefore, it is important to take preventive measures during sexual intercourse. HPV vaccination and regular check-ups are effective methods to prevent such cancers.
Is Cancer an Obstacle to Marriage?
Today, cancer has become a very common health problem worldwide. This situation also affects the social and emotional lives of individuals struggling with cancer. Cancer can cause some question marks for people who are considering making an important life decision such as marriage. So, is cancer an obstacle to marriage? Let’s find out together.
First of all, there is no medical obstacle for an individual diagnosed with cancer to get married. However, cancer and its treatment may affect the marriage process and the relationship between spouses. Therefore, individuals living with cancer and their spouses should consider some factors when deciding to get married. These factors are briefly as follows:
- Emotional and Psychological Factors
- Physical Factors
- Economic Factors
- Communication and Understanding
Cancer and Sexual Health Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and relatives of patients who want to come to Turkey are doing research on cancer and sexual health treatment prices in Turkey. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the type of disease, stage, diagnosis process, treatment process, and stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi