Canal stenosis, medically known as spinal stenosis, is a condition that causes compression of the nerves running through the spine. This is a degenerative process that usually occurs as a result of aging and wear and tear on the spine. Spinal stenosis can negatively affect the quality of life and can worsen over time as it is a progressive condition. In this article, we will examine what spinal stenosis is, its risk factors, and its symptoms.
- What Is Spinal Stenosis?
- What Are The Risk Factors for Spinal Stenosis?
- What Are The Symptoms Of Spinal Stenosis?
- What Are The Causes Of Canal Stenosis?
- What Are The Types Of Canal Stenosis?
- Spinal Canal Stenosis Treatment Methods
- How Is Canal Stenosis (Stenosis) Diagnosed?
- Canal Stenosis (Narrow Canal) Surgery with Robotic Spine Surgery
- Spinal Stenosis Treatment Prices in Turkey
What Is Spinal Stenosis?
Spinal stenosis is a narrowing of the spinal canal that results in compression of the nerve roots and spinal cord tissue. The spinal canal is a structure between the vertebrae through which the spinal cord and nerve roots pass. Narrowing this canal puts pressure on the nerves, causing symptoms such as pain, numbness, weakness, and restricted movement. Spinal stenosis is more common in the cervical (neck) and lumbar (lower back) regions.
What Are The Risk Factors for Spinal Stenosis?
The main risk factors of spinal stenosis are as follows;
- Genetic factors,
- spine diseases
- Trauma and injuries,
- Metabolic diseases,
What Are The Symptoms Of Spinal Stenosis?
Symptoms of spinal stenosis may vary depending on the location and severity of the compressed nerves. The main symptoms are as follows;
- Pain in the lower back, neck, back, legs and arms. The pain may increase with movement and decrease with rest.
- There may be numbness and tingling sensation in areas such as legs, arms and hands due to pinched nerves.
- Pinched nerves can affect the impulses to the muscles, causing weakness and limitation of movement.
- Spinal stenosis can cause difficulty walking due to pain and weakness in the legs.
- In advanced cases of spinal stenosis, bladder and bowel control may be difficult.
Symptoms of spinal stenosis can negatively affect the quality of life and may require surgical intervention if they progress. Therefore, it is important to consult a specialist as soon as symptoms appear.
What Are The Causes Of Canal Stenosis?
Canal stenosis (stenosis) refers to the narrowing of the spinal canal, resulting in compression of the nerve roots and spinal cord tissue. This condition usually occurs in the lower back and neck and can cause symptoms such as pain, numbness and weakness. There are various causes of canal stenosis, these are as follows;
- Innate Factors,
- Disk Hernia,
- Spinal Calcification,
- Spine Tumors,
What Are The Types Of Canal Stenosis?
Canal stenosis can be classified in various ways according to the area it affects;
Cervical Stenosis: It is the narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck region. This condition can cause symptoms such as neck pain, dizziness, numbness and weakness.
Lumbar Stenosis: Narrowing of the spinal canal in the lumbar region. This condition is characterized by symptoms such as low back pain, numbness and weakness in the legs, and difficulty walking.
Foraminal Stenosis: Narrowing of the openings through which the spinal nerve roots exit the spinal canal. This condition can cause compression of the nerve roots and symptoms such as pain, numbness and weakness.
Spinal Canal Stenosis Treatment Methods
Treatment of spinal canal stenosis depends on the patient’s age, general health, severity and cause of the stenosis. Treatment methods can be listed as follows;
- Physical Therapy ,
- Epidural Steroid Injections,
- Surgical Treatment,
- Alternative Treatment Methods,
How Is Canal Stenosis (Stenosis) Diagnosed?
Canal stenosis (stenosis) is a condition that manifests itself with symptoms such as pain, numbness, weakness, and limitation of movement due to compression of the nerves as a result of the narrowing of the spinal canal. Canal stenosis is diagnosed based on the patient’s complaints, physical examination and necessary imaging methods.
First, the patient’s complaints and medical history are carefully listened to. The location, duration and severity of symptoms such as pain, numbness and weakness are evaluated. Next, a physical examination of the patient is performed. In this examination, factors such as limitation of movement, reflexes, muscle strength and sensation are examined.
Imaging methods play an important role in the diagnosis of canal stenosis. X-rays, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computed tomography (CT) are used to obtain detailed images of the spine and nerve structures. These images help the doctor to determine the location, severity and cause of the stenosis.
X-rays help to see the condition of the spinal bones and the distance between them. MRI provides more detailed images of the spine and nerve structures and shows the effect of the stenosis on the nerves. CT provides a clearer picture of the bone structures and the narrowing of the spinal canal.
If necessary, doctors may order additional tests such as nerve conduction studies. These tests help to assess the function of the nerves and the extent to which they are affected.
As a result of all these evaluations, a diagnosis of canal stenosis is made and appropriate treatment methods are determined.
Canal Stenosis (Narrow Canal) Surgery with Robotic Spine Surgery
Robotic spine surgery is an advanced technology used in the treatment of canal stenosis. This method makes the surgical process more precise, safe, and effective. Canal stenosis surgery with robotic spine surgery allows patients to recover faster and experience fewer complications.
Robotic spine surgery is performed with the use of robotic arms that are pre-planned and controlled by a computer. These robotic arms move and work on the spine with millimeter precision under the surgeon’s guidance. This way, the surgeon is less likely to make mistakes during the procedure and the surgical process becomes safer.
In canal, stenosis surgery with robotic spine surgery, a small incision is first made to reach the narrowed part of the canal without damaging the patient’s spine and nerve structures. Then, with the help of robotic arms, necessary corrections are made to the bones and other structures of the spine. These corrections prevent compression of the nerves and reduce the patient’s complaints.
The advantages of canal stenosis surgery with robotic spine surgery include;
- Less invasive. Thanks to small incisions and precise procedures, patients experience less tissue damage and blood loss.
- Faster recovery. With less postoperative pain and swelling, patients can recover faster and return to their normal lives.
- Fewer complications. Robotic surgery reduces the risk of damage to the spine and nerve structures, thus reducing the likelihood of postoperative complications.
Robotic spine surgery for canal stenosis offers a safer, more effective and comfortable treatment for patients. The use of this technology contributes to an improved quality of life and faster recovery.
Spinal Stenosis Treatment Prices in Turkey
Turkey has managed to announce its name to the world with its investments and studies in the field of health. Especially the latest technological devices used in diagnosis and treatment procedures have been a beacon of hope for many diseases. However, there has been an increase in health tourism in Türkiye.
- Hospitals are large, clean, spacious and fully equipped in terms of technological equipment.
- Turkish doctors are specialized, successful, and skilled in their fields.
- Nurses and carers are friendly and compassionate.
- Finding answers to the questions asked quickly and accurately.
- Patience and understanding of all staff, including the intermediary company dealing with the patient.
- Turkey offers holiday opportunities with its natural and historical beauties.
- Easy transportation.
- Diagnosis, treatment, accommodation, eating, drinking, dressing, and holiday needs can be met at affordable prices.
Such situations are shown among the reasons for preference. We can see that patients and their relatives who want to come to Turkey are doing research on Spinal Stenosis Treatment Prices in Turkey. However, it would not be right to give clear price information at this stage. Many factors such as the shape of the lips to be made to the person, the type of material, extra aesthetic request, treatment process, and the duration of stay in Türkiye affect the price issue. If you want to get more detailed price information, you can contact us. In addition, if you come to Turkey for treatment through us, we can facilitate your visa application process with the invitation letter sent by us to the consulate.
Prof.Dr. Ergün Dağlıoğlu (Eğitim Görevlisi), Beyin Cerrahı, Beyin Ve Sinir Cerrahisi
This post is also available in: Türkçe